AHenry014

Last Nights Grab, the Elusive 418-C

AHenry014

Hey all,

Done a couple things to it.  Got the new seat on it.  My tractor has adjustable seat sliders on it, so i did need to drill a couple holes in the sliders to mount them to the seat.  Quick and easy.  Got the steering fixed. Thanks for the heads up on that bearing @19richie66!!  I was worried about the steering wheel not cooperating, but all i had to do was drive the roll pin out and she came right off.  Getting the new bearing in place was as easy as drilling two strategically placed holes.  I also installed a new steer tube since the original has seen better days.  All in all, very happy with how tight the wheel is now.  

Two questions:

1. After start, it takes a varying amount of time after start before the hydro loads up and i can use the lift.  I have not tried the movement lever right after start, but will do so tomorrow and see how it functions.  Anyone else have this issue? When its pumping, it is VERY strong and has no issues.  

2. The lift cylinder leaks.  I will need to double check that i have a serviceable unit, but i think this might be the correct seal kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toro-Wheel-Horse-Garden-Tractor-Hydraulic-Lift-Cylinder-Re-Seal-O-Ring-Kit-NEW/113484905223?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Am i correct?

IMG_2314.jpg.a3ecf32b5431922fb6c042a624e955e9.jpgIMG_2315.jpg.a4bbadb877418bdc4f07a0e0d083a9e7.jpgIMG_2316.jpg.547221af054814a6369aac373335eac2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Eaton hydros can take a long time before they will lift.  The lag time will vary significantly between units and also depending on temperature.

• Like 3

19richie66

Glad the bearing tip worked out. I have one waiting for mine. As for the hydro, mine does the same thing. It won’t move right off the bat and lift lags a little. As Paul said, it just takes a moment to get there but when it’s there, it’s there. I love mine. Nice to see all the updates posted and look forward to more. 

• Like 1

AHenry014

Ok, good to know on the pump time.  Ive used the tractor a couple times since posting last and it still takes varying amounts of time to prime the lift.  But it always comes on strong and works great. I used it yesterday to plow the slush out of my driveway and honestly couldnt be happier with the machine.  I am excited for a storm to come by and drop a bunch of snow.  

It does take a bit of cranking time for it to fire.  But once its running it has no issues.  I will likely be rebuilding the fuel pump on it if i can find a kit. 

pfrederi
24 minutes ago, AHenry014 said:

It does take a bit of cranking time for it to fire.  But once its running it has no issues.  I will likely be rebuilding the fuel pump on it if i can find a kit. 

Unless you are into originality save the money on the pump overhaul kit and buy and electric pump.  My 418A took for ever to fire if she sat fr a few   Put a Facet US made electric pump on about 4 years ago and it starts quickly now.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Razorback
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Unless you are into originality save the money on the pump overhaul kit and buy and electric pump.  My 418A took for ever to fire if she sat fr a few   Put a Facet US made electric pump on about 4 years ago and it starts quickly now.

Which Facet pump did you use?

19richie66

I have a napa pump 4-7 psi and it seems to work fine. Think there is a 3-5 psi also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi
15 minutes ago, Razorback said:

Which Facet pump did you use?

I have been using 60245.  Some say 4 psi is too much  i have 4 of them now and have not had a flooding issue..  You could use 60304 if the psi bothers you  it doesn't come with fittings.

Facet.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Thanks 2

Razorback
Just now, pfrederi said:

I have been using 60245.  Some say 4 psi is too much  i have I 4 of them now and have not had a flooding issue..  You could use 60304 if the pi bothers you  it doesn't come with fittings.

Facet.JPG

Very good information..... thank you!

Lee1977

If you want to fix it cheep, after shut it down close the tank shut off. You just have to remember to open it the next time you start it up.

AHenry014
32 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

If you want to fix it cheep, after shut it down close the tank shut off. You just have to remember to open it the next time you start it up.

Makes sense.  Seems like the check valve in the pump that shouldn't allow flow back is not functioning correctly.  Shutting the fuel valve would not allow flow back to the tank.  

Thanks all for the electric fuel pump info! I will certainly keep it in mind.  

19richie66

Or add a 1/4” hand primer bulb for a boat tank. Works great. Around $10

• Like 1

953 nut

When you mount your electric pump keep it as low as you can. Fuel pumps are great at pushing fuel up to the carburetor, but not so good at pulling it up from a tank.

• Thanks 1