Jake0030

Wrong season, but right question about keeping mowing deck clean

Jake0030

So, just Got the 312-8 winter ready: oil change, snow thrower, weights, chains and all. I was rather unprepared for what i found under the 42" mowing deck (model 78345) when i went to clean it and get it winter ready. It is clear I should have been doing regular, routine cleaning of the underside of the deck this past summer, but i did not. Well, Deck has been thoroughly cleaned, lubed and spindles hit with grease gun before setting aside for the winter. Here is the question, what should my regular cleaning entail next mowing season?  I have this funny little hose attachment on the deck, not sure for air or water or what? Any tips members can give me on what regular cleaning routine should be, would be quite helpful. You would think I was scraping and washing 10 year old cow dung off the bottom of that deck when i finally got around to cleaning it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

IMG_0904.jpg

WHX??

Here is the manual for your deck in case you don't have one. Some tips in there on service.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3083-mower-rotary-42in-sd-2002-2012-2014-2016-78345-3-400-om-snpdf/

And an IPL

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2294-mower-rotary-42in-sd-2000-2012-2014-2016-78345-3-400-iplpdf/

You'll notice that fitting is not on the IPL. Some later model deck had them, some didn't.  Mostly only smaller decks had them from factory but were often added by a dealer.

It's a deck wash fitting and was meant to hook up to a garden hose for washing the underside. Was a Toro thing to try and help keep the underside clean. You are (probably) missing the quick attach that goes on the end of the garden hose but they can be had yet from a dealer or Partstree or other places. Supposed to be O-rings in those grooves.

Couple of different schools of thought on deck washing. Some like it some don't. Claim it leads to premature rusting but wet grass buildup will too. Claim it can put water in spindle bearings which it does so regular greasing is in order. You have to do it right  after EVERY mowing or the buildup won't come off.

One deck I have came with it, top pic upper left,  so I thought it a good idea and bought one and installed it on another deck, just below the deer corn,  and do use them. No substitute for pulling the deck and manual cleaning tho.

20160118_190303.jpg

20150827_184933.jpg

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

The fitting is for garden hose to attach. Turn on water and run mower and it is supposed to clean deck. Previous posts have described in detail some successful methods for maintenance.

• Like 1

Jake0030

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You guys!!!:thanks:

• Like 1

peter lena

this is what I do , on a regular basis , if you want your deck to last , you must break the stagnant moisture cycle, I also leave it upside down over winter , with another oil soak , this is only me , but it works , pete

• Like 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, WHX21 said:

I thought it a good idea and bought one and installed it on another deck, just below the deer corn,  and do use them.

:text-coolphotos:     Or you could use the deck to shell, crack and spread the deer corn and the abrasion would clean the underside.     :ychain:

Seriously;

I have had good luck with Plastidip spray coating, clipping don't stick to it.

Image result for plastidip

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I just brush paint the undersides with gloss rustoleum and then once or twice a year use car wax on it

• Like 1

Lee1977

The only time I put water under my deck Is when mowing wet grass. Then I use a hose pipe and spray it under the deck. The last time I was caught in a rain storm with about one quarter of the front yard to finish.  I would have been soaked before I got back to the garage, so I just finished.

I try to scrape and wire brush the bottom every fall before storing it over the winter. Prime and paint every couple of years. I bought it new in 1977 and it's still solid after repairing one corner and welding up a couple of cracks. Be sure to clean and paint the spindle housings as the grass will totally destroy them. 

I also scrape and wire brush the under side every time I have to remove the deck to repair something.

Edited by Lee1977

Tankman

Power washer during the cutting season, grease spindles almost every mowing.

An occasional belt dressing spray.

After the season, good cleaning and liberal spray with penetrating oil. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1