huey

44" 2 stage blower

huey

Trying to change oil in 2 stage blower gearbox thats closest to tractor i see a drain plug but don't see a fill plug anywhere! Also how much does it take?

Edited by huey

wallfish

Those 90 degree gearboxes (belt to chain) are typically filled with grease, not oil.

huey

what type of grease? how much? Do I just pump it in the drain hole?

wallfish

I just use wheel bearing grease as that's what I have handy.

There's a cover on one side with 4 screws holding it on. Open it up and take a look see in there.

I'm not sure what the drain hole is you're referring to. Can you post a pic? Unless you are referring to the front auger gearbox. That takes gear oil but I fill mine with Lubriplate 105 grease which is light but thicker than oil. My seals leak the oil out but not the Lubriplate grease so I've been using that for quite a few years.

• Like 3

huey

the cover plate with the 4 screws you are talking about has a allen screw plug in it near the bottom of the cover. I am going to remove the plate today and was thinking of putting in white lithium grease.

roadapples

I wanted to check mine also and couldn't get the Allen plug out. So I pulled the plate to check the gears. Looked new. While I had the plate off I drilled and tapped a 3/8 hole in the top to fill and check. Used 90w gear oil. Filled to about 1/2 full. Use screwdriver or wire for dip stick. Works for me...:handgestures-thumbupright:   Hole in top of box not in plate. If you do this make sure you drill hole where the bolt or plug does not contact gears...

Edited by roadapples
Clarification
  • Like 1

cleat

When you pulled the plate did oil run out or was it grease filled ?

CTBT&D

I checked mine back in 2010 while doing a complete refresh, paint and customizing. Had no leaks with gear oil, cleaned and refilled with 90W gear oil about half full. No problems for 6 seasons.

The first picture is the way I got it, except for the nut as a spacer. The gear box had bent the mounting surface, I used the nut to keep the box somewhat square to the machine so I could run it.

Picture #2 was after the refresh. I did reinforce the mounting surface for the gearbox by welding 1/4" plates on the other side.

44 019_800x600.jpg

44-001_1024x768.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

cleat

Blower looks great.

All power too....

David Portenier

Holy Moly that paint job is stellar!!!!!!!!!!