Sign in to follow this  
Country Cadillac

Purging Sunstrand Pump ?

Country Cadillac

Looks like winter may be letting up a little, so as soon as the seal arrives for my sunstrand pump I'm going to change the main shaft. I've downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention how to drain the fluid out of the pump.... that could end up being quite a mess. And the other thing is whether it will be necessary to purge the air out of the pump after reassembly. Will the pump pick up the oil without too much trouble ? My thought is I'll need to get the air out someway, unless it does it automatically....I've never done one..... so I was hoping someone who has could give me a little info on this..... :thumbs: again for your time.......Ray

MaineDad

Ray,

Drain the oil from the transmission and let it continue to drain for a few hours. You'll need to take the left rear wheel off to do the seal replacement. Put a large basin under the axle, because you will have a lot of oil still left in the pump when you remove it.

Make sure you keep everything clean! Just a little bit of dirt can mess things up real bad. Once you reassemble, make sure the plate valve is firmly set in it's groove. It's not too big of a job, but it can get real messy.

We'll talk you through when you start. Let us know when...

Micah

MaineDad

BTW - the pump should pick up the oil with no problem. Just make sure the oil is full on the dipstick.

Country Cadillac

Micah....Thanks for the imput and I'll for sure let you know how it's going. I'm always a little nervous taking things apart that are working, but I've already bought the shaft and coupler and there is a slight vibration from the rollpin connection I had to make and I just want to get it right. But on my D-160 the hydo pump is attached directly to the motor and not attached on top of the trans. It probably would have been helpful to state that originally. But I imagine the draining remains as you said. The seal I'm waiting for is on the end of the hydo pump shaft. Appreciate the information :thumbs: ......Ray