Horse Play

RJ58 Rattle Can Special

PA.BOB

Beautiful job that your doing .  Your paint job is really turning out great. Can't wait to see it when its all done.  Keep up the beautiful work.   

Horse Play
12 hours ago, Wheelhorse Wes said:

That is absolutely beautiful RJ. Rattle can works amazing if your patient, by the looks of er you are a good painter. Two thumbs way way up sir....by the way use “redo your horse.com” for your decals he’s a member on here .

I use his decals and they are amazing 

I am an OK painter.  I worked at at a body shop for a little while after I got out of college - I mostly did remove/install and cutting/buffing.  But I did learn a lot and had some practice.  

Horse Play

Well it is 12:30am on a Sunday morning!  I have a few things accomplished, but also have some more issues.

The good:

- mud work is almost complete on the hood.  The hood is far from perfect, but I am going to be lazy and move on.  I really should call this "Project Good Enough"

- recieved a proper 1611 transmission input pulley (I have been looking for one for a long time)

- I may have fixed my bent rear wheel (at the hub-center area) with a BFH, scrap piece of 2x4, and Rocky Mountain Kool-Aid

The bad:

- wrong gas tank.  I knew I had the "wrong" gas tank all along because it has the petcock on the same side as the cap, but I was going to use it until I found the proper RJ tank. But now I realized this tank I have will not fit properly if I install the tank straps to their original location.  So now I am debating on waiting to come across the proper tank or use this one with the straps in a different location. 

wallfish

Not only the petcock location, but original RJ tanks had the filler neck closer to the edge of the tank. They are difficult to find as many are gone and many also seek them. They can go for good money if you do find one.

IMO if you are not going completely "all the way" might as well use the tank you have. Only the observant RJ collector will ever know the difference anyway.

71_Bronco

There's one on Ebay right now that looks like it may be what you need (at least to the untrained eye). Its not listed as an RJ tank, so search for "wheel horse gas tank" and you should find it.

From what I can see, I think you're doing a great job on it.

Horse Play
22 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

There's one on Ebay right now that looks like it may be what you need (at least to the untrained eye). Its not listed as an RJ tank, so search for "wheel horse gas tank" and you should find it.

From what I can see, I think you're doing a great job on it.

Is it the silver one?  If so, I already contacted the seller Friday and the tank is too long; it would hit the steering shaft. 

71_Bronco
9 minutes ago, Horse Play said:

Is it the silver one?  If so, I already contacted the seller Friday and the tank is too long; it would hit the steering shaft. 

Yes, the silver one with the pair of straps. Hard to tell the size with nothing to reference for size.

Horse Play
22 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Yes, the silver one with the pair of straps. Hard to tell the size with nothing to reference for size.

Yup, you and I were thinking the same thing.  To where the the cap is really close to the edge and is overall 1-1/2" longer than my tank, it kicks the tank too close to the steering shaft.

Horse Play

Front wheels/tire are ready to go on.

DSC_0004.JPG.7ccbb6df22cf3ddd09fde7cb1b79b312.JPG

One rear wheel ready for a second coat of paint.

DSC_0005.JPG.51c087c7e3b16f78a951ce86ae014a17.JPG

• Like 1

Horse Play

Here is the one I straightened out last night.  I may mount it to the hub on my 857 to see if it needs more persuasion.  

DSC_0006.JPG.f30a9f758201f8b5b8298e5680e079c4.JPG

My 1611 pulley; probably will wire brush it and spray on some self etching primer today.

DSC_0009.JPG.a65304b184a59a716e54f928b3348279.JPG

Horse Play

Here is the gas tank I have now; it came with the tractor from the previous owner.DSC_0001.JPG.6812d7a68008ea49e76131d04d3c8acd.JPG 

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 1

8ntruck

Sorry, but this is off topic.  Is the Honda in the background a CB 350 four or a CB 750 four?

Horse Play
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Sorry, but this is off topic.  Is the Honda in the background a CB 350 four or a CB 750 four?

It's a '71 CB450 - my grandfather bought it new and it has always been in the family.  An early CB750 is my dream bike, lately I've been thinking about selling my Sportster for one.

image.png.c3a91f1dfc4a870b421bdc8743938ff8.png

Edited by Horse Play
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Looks like I miss-counted the exhaust pipes.  Back in college, I had a CB 350.  I don't remember the year, but it was the last year for the front drum brake.  It came to grief on the right front fender of a Caddy.  Fortunately, I flew clear of the car across the hood and just ended up with a stiff hip, bumps and bruises.

Nice paint work on your project tractor, by the way.

• Sad 2

Horse Play
27 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Looks like I miss-counted the exhaust pipes.  Back in college, I had a CB 350.  I don't remember the year, but it was the last year for the front drum brake.  It came to grief on the right front fender of a Caddy.  Fortunately, I flew clear of the car across the hood and just ended up with a stiff hip, bumps and bruises.

Nice paint work on your project tractor, by the way.

Yikes!  Glad to hear your injuries were not worse than that.

Horse Play

Rear wheels are finished.  I primed and painted them six months before mounting - I knew they would lose some paint mounting.  I feathered out the chips from mounting and then scuffed the wheels with a grey scuff pad.  Then I masked off the tires and sprayed an addition three coat of white.  These wheels came out really well, especially for a spray bomb. DSC_0014.JPG.21d76bc772d2177472f4f590fbf4faaf.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Wildhorse

Very nice work!

Horse Play
On 6/30/2019 at 8:56 PM, Wildhorse said:

Very nice work!

Thank you!

Lane Ranger

That must be a pretty good shade tree you have there as that RJ is turning out very nice!

• Like 1

Horse Play

Tomorrow I will be doing the tank straps with some 3M Panel Adhesive.  

image.png.203c6a0aae96b0eeb4e57adb87e62fe1.png

• Like 2

Digger 66
On 11/5/2018 at 9:08 PM, Horse Play said:

DSC_0003.JPG.82d5feb95bf3fe0da29e4878dd85099c.JPG

Really lovin' that Honda ^^^

oliver2-44
14 hours ago, Horse Play said:

Tomorrow I will be doing the tank straps with some 3M Panel Adhesive.  

image.png.203c6a0aae96b0eeb4e57adb87e62fe1.png

Let us know how the panel adhesive works out. That could be a repair that's attractive to many of us that don't have a wire welder to weld sheet metal!

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:try separating them after it sets to see if they will hold.

RandyLittrell

Coming from the body shop, not sure that will work as such. Could you cut some sheet metal that would go over the straps and cover more area? 

Randy

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Randy I had that done on my last redo . My welder  spot welder a plate and strengthened hood inside then spot welded newbtank straps,  the RJ’s were notorious for cracking around the gas tank neck hole on top of the hood.  Another good idea is to put a longer neck on gas tank to be assured of being able to remove the gas cap easily.  Filler Neck Supply sells new necks and caps for less than ten dollars. 

• Like 1