tntatro

Deck Size vs Engine Power

tntatro

Hello, is there a general recommendation for deck size verses horse power? I have 8hp, 10hp and 12hp engines and a friend of mine has a 16 hp, all k series engines. My friend is going to need a deck for next season for the 16hp k341 and wants a bigger deck than the 42" that it came with. My Raider 12 has a 48" from when I got it and does well but the engine smokes bad and I plan to rebuild it along with the 8 and 10. I'm hoping to get at least one rebuilt this winter and match it up with a deck that won't bee too much for the power but as big as it will handle.

Another question, is it bad to mow in 3rd gear? I've been mowing in 3rd all year and at the beginning my 8 smoked on start up but would clear up after a while, now it smokes pretty bad to where I don't want to drive it. My 12 smoked pretty bad when I got it and the same goes for it, it needs a rebuild. It's way faster to mow in 3rd, just not sure if I'm beating on them too much.

peter lena

3 rd. gear, not really a mowing gear, more of a transport gear, unless you are pulling something without effort. lawn condition and height / density of grass would determine that. sounds like your engine is pretty bad  for wear. I mow in second gear , high range and its just right, no effort or lugging .your friends 16 hp will handle a 48 " with no problems, 8 -10 hp engines are at the bottom for power and a 36 " deck would be just right. I have 12 hp magnum power for my 42  " decks, or my 36-42 single stage snow thrower , dozer blade handles all with no problems. zero turn mowers have put a speed mentality on mowing, that type of mowing on a tractor , just seams out of place. and more often than not , a poor looking grass finish. these are only my opinions , good luck on your rebuilding , Pete

• Like 2

pfrederi

I am running a 48" deck on a Charger 12.  You do have to slow a bit in the heavy wet grass we have had this year but she does it.  I know i move faster  on average than the 2nd gear I use on the C175.  My grassy areas are not pool tables, bouncing along in 3rd is too hard on the machine and ME!!

• Like 1

pacer

I had a  'factory' 1054 with 10hp running a 48"er and --- well, if I let the grass get a bit away from me it would strain. Long as I kept to a schedule and not let it get long, it did very well. I also had a C100 10hp with a 48"er and while I didnt run it a lot before selling it it also would struggle.  Personally I would want at least a 14hp+ to run the 48".

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I've been running the 48 inch deck on my 312-8 with no issues.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I run 2nd gear high with a 10 HP Kohler and 42". Never any issues...

:twocents-02cents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

And folks, it all depends on how thick you lawn is AND how sharp your blades are and probably another factor or two!

• Like 2

tntatro

Thanks for the responses. Both my 8 and 12 really needed maintenance when I got them and I pretty much beat on them all year. The 10hp is just an extra engine I picked up cheap that needs a rebore. I've rebuilt the transmissions and will be moving on to the engines next and may not beat on them as much after, or just beat on one and take it easy on the other. One is a 73 8hp no name and the other a 72 Raider 12. Both have seen better days but both still run and mow. I never cared much for mowing until I got an old Wheel Horse.

• Like 1