71_Bronco

Single "Ripper" Spike Attachment

71_Bronco

So the other night, I was thinking about my tractor, and some of the attachments that are out there. I am going to, at some point, get a front plow for it.

When thinking about this, it made me think of the big, construction style bulldozers. Then I started thinking about the rear spike ripper that some of them have.

73e8f67cae4cbc525593346f06e5dfd4_65f850_

I thought it would be cool (not sure how practical) it would be if you could do something similar and attach it to the clevis style hitch like a cultivator or a plow / wheel combo.

After some digging, I came across a company (no affiliation) called "Heavy Hitch". They make a similar style set-up that mounts into a 2" receiver hitch, similar to ones on a 3-point set-up. They do, however, make an adapter for our Wheel Horse clevis style hitches (or you could just weld the "C" shape piece onto the end for a 1-piece mount).

https://heavyhitch.com/product/ripper-sub-soiler-potato-plow-middle-buster/

https://heavyhitch.com/product/sleeve-hitch-2″-receiver-hitch/

Not sure how effective this set-up would be, since there is no down pressure on the spike. I would think some kind of added weight may help it "dig" in. Maybe good for digging trenches in an already established garden, or for an electric fence for a dog. or possibly pulling up small stumps / rocks where a concentrated spike make be better to help pull / lift it. Just spit-balling ideas.

Anyways, thought I'd post it and see what you guys thought.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I kind of like the idea although I would have limited usage for it.

I have to admit I wish I had one when we put an electric dog fence across our driveway about a year ago.

Gravel driveway that's 15 years old and the only difference between it and concrete is that you don't call it concrete.

There are certain situations where even though it would not be used often, it would be super extra handy.

I definitely agree with the need to have down pressure or weights on top of something like that.

• Like 1

Mows4three

Bronco:

Try searching the inter web by entering "3-point implements."  Once you get a good hit, look at images.   I found a lot of good ideas that could be adapted to several kinds of hitches, as long as you think creatively.  

I just ordered the steel today for my next project.  I'm in the process of building a category 0 tool bar for two purposes, bedding some underground cable for a new building I'm putting up in the spring and using the ripper shank, in my case ripper shanks, to loosen up dirt where I need to form a drainage ditch in my orchard.  

My plans are to fabricate three offset positions on the tool bar to give me the option to use one, two or three standard ripper shanks borrowed from my 7' box blade.  They will be adjustable for depth by sandwiching them between pieces of 3" angle and using hitch pins to secure them.  

Both jobs that I have in mind could be done with "Big George," my International 460 Utility tractor, but it will likely tear the $#*! out of my orchard.  Instead I'll use my newly acquired White GT 1855 with the hydraulic 3-point hitch on it.  It is more compact, but lacks the soil contact weighting of "Big George."  Just got wheel weights and chains for the White GT.   Will fill the rears and add a front weight box to it over the winter.  Come springtime, I should have it ready to go.  

In my limited experience using ripping shanks on our farm, I found that the type of soil makes a big difference and so does the angle of attack.   By playing with the length of the top link (thus, varying the angle) and the depth setting of the ripper shanks, you can get them to dig in better in some soils.   In others, you'll run out of traction when you apply too much down pressure and you'll have to be content taking smaller bites.

Good luck with your project.   Post photos.  I'd enjoy seeing how you approach the solution of using a ripper with a clevis hitch.

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three

Pullstart

I’ve used my 1 bottom plow a few times as means to bury dog “invisible” fence.  If I can get it to furrow and roll the sod one the first go-round, great!  If not, that’s another victory lap to hit those stubborn spots again.  With our gravel driveway last time, I used a pick axe and shovel to dig a 6-8” trench, then ran the wire through 3/4” pvc.  Keeping in mind that I plow snow commercially, my drive is scraped clean every chance I get, normally one the way out to clear drives, and also on the way in for break time.  I never needed a spike like that, the only t8me I’ve seen those used is on the gold digger shows on discovery!

Mows4three
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I bought this one for my subcompact tractors...https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292207369422, I used it to loosen some sod so I could dig it up with the FEL, did pretty good

That's a great idea.  I'm going to keep this in mind.  

Cheers!

Dave

71_Bronco

Dave, Yes, i was thinking about a way to adapt it to to adjust the angle of the ripper. Use a soft grade 2 bolt as a pivot half-way down (break point if it catches something), and use some kind of threaded adjustment that attaches to the top, like the Brinly plow in the picture below. Would need to fabricate a new arm to connect the adjuster and ripper to the clevis hitch.

PP_51BH_Sleeve-hitch-moldboard-plow-1.jp

Edited by 71_Bronco

953 nut

Check out these threads.

Lee1977

I built mine from so scrap steel I had in hand. The only problem I have had with it as the steel I used was not long enough.

Would work better if it part attached to the sleeve hitch was another 8 to 10" longer.

SAM-0603.jpg

SAM-0604.jpg

ebinmaine
On 11/5/2018 at 10:32 AM, 71_Bronco said:

rear spike ripper

I know this is an old thread. 

I wanted to share what I recently purchased.  

In the new expanded garden area I'll need to pick out rocks and roots. 

I decided a ripper is worth a try.  

IMG_20220310_163714613.jpg.aa8eebc25d4fb53b9669a1f1b263bd7f.jpg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

What kinda hitch? :confusion-confused:

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What kinda hitch? :confusion-confused:

Standard 2" 

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

Hmmmm.  This looks like a handy gizmo to put on the back of my C195.  Looks like it could be handy in clearing brush and small trees.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Hmmmm.  This looks like a handy gizmo to put on the back of my C195.  Looks like it could be handy in clearing brush and small trees.

One of the many uses is to break small roots off just below the surface of the ground. 

Set up right, it would be very helpful.  

• Like 2