Scott1419

1997 520H won't start

Scott1419

I just changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.  The tractor ran fine before I did all this.  Now it won't start.  It started one time and ran rough for 15 seconds or so and died.  I put new plugs in it.  After trying to start it I pulled the plugs and they are a little wet.  I also took the air filter off and there is a little bit of over spray gas there.  So i know gas is getting to the carb.  While trying to start it it puffs white smoke while trying to turn over.  Can someone give me some tips please?

SylvanLakeWH

Maybe some gunk dislodged into the carb when fuel filter etc. changed out clogging it up?

I would give it a small shot of starter fluid and see if she burps...

KC9KAS

@Scott1419 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I use carburetor & choke cleaner as opposed to starting fluid (ether), it works just as well and is a claimed to be less damaging to the engines.

• Like 1

Scott1419

Would you use that while trying to start it or spray a small amount in prior to starting it?

lynnmor

The 97 probably has an accelerator pump and you have it seriously flooded.  Cranking with the plugs out will clear the cylinders, but you should disable the ignition to prevent fire if gas squirts out.  Then with the plugs out check for a good spark.  If that doesn't help, clean the carburetor.

• Like 1

Scott1419
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

@Scott1419 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I use carburetor & choke cleaner as opposed to starting fluid (ether), it works just as well and is a claimed to be less damaging to the engines.

I have use that stuff while the tractor is running to clean the carb.  In this case how would you use it?  Would you have someone spray some into it while your trying to start it?

KC9KAS
5 hours ago, Scott1419 said:

I have use that stuff while the tractor is running to clean the carb.  In this case how would you use it?  Would you have someone spray some into it while your trying to start it?

I usually spray it into the carb then try to start. I usually miss the carb if I try to squirt and turn the key at the same time! :angry-banghead:

• Like 1

Achto
32 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

I usually spray it into the carb then try to start. I usually miss the carb if I try to squirt and turn the key at the same time! :angry-banghead:

I agree, you should never spray starting fluid into the carb without the engine turning over.

gwest_ca

Starting fluid was never intended to be used in any engine with spark plugs or glow plugs and gas engines are not designed for the compression it develops. Just plain dangerous.

WD40 also works because the propellant is propane or butane.

Garry

Scott1419

Ok guys I got it running!  I had someone spray some carb cleaner in the carb as I tried to start it with fresh fuel.  It started right up and continues to start without any hesitation.  Quick question, I put ethanol free gas in it and new plugs.  Starts right up and runs smooth.  If I leave it at low throttle it runs normal.  If I give it full throttle the whole exhaust system gets cherry red within 30 seconds.  It that due to the ethanol free fuel?

Edited by Scott1419

lynnmor

It is NOT the fuel, you have a serious problem.  Check the compression and report back.

Scott1419

ok thank you.