953 nut

Electric Clutch magnetic coil wiring repairs?

953 nut

Has anyone had success removing and reinstalling the coil from an electric PTO clutch. The PTO on my GT-14 quit working the other day and I have determined that the positive wire where it enters the clutch has an open fault. If I push the wire in and move it just right the clutch will close. Paul @pfrederi did a great thread on the electric clutches but it didn't cover this particular problem. How bout it; has anyone had success pulling the coil out and putting it back? 

2009690845_1PTO.jpeg.ca37bf65c5f2b5830b20f2b42ec4b751.jpeg

wallfish

There's one way to find out.

It's already broke so you got noth'n to loose by pulling it apart to see if you can fix it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Was thinkin the same thing 'fish...it's already broke! Go for it Richard nothing ventured nothin gained. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Howie

I fixed one off an Ariens with that problem, ground the epoxy out around the wire repaired it . Verified it worked and

refilled epoxy area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Didn't work well for me. I had the same problem. Clutch would only engage if I played around with the wires. Finally I removed the coil from the housing and tried soldering the wires in the coil, but it just kept shorting at the next weakest place. After soldering several different places I finally gave up. Called a local electric motor repair shop that would make and install a new coil in the old housing but the price was salty. I wanted to keep the machine original, so I was ready to pay to have it done when someone here offered me a used one. That was a year ago and I'm still up and running. Repair is worth a try though if you have a little patients! You could try an electric motor repair shop in your area. Perhaps they might be a little easier on your wallet! :D

Good Luck!!

Gary              :USA:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

The only thing being powered by this clutch is the Hydraulic pump for the front end loader. That pump doesn't need a clutch so I will probably buy a pulley to replace it and then play with the electric clutch later on;   got too many other projects going on right now.

WHX??

:hilarious:

10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

got too many other projects going on right now

Huh? :huh:

• Haha 2

squonk

You can't spoil a rotten egg. :)

• Haha 5

SpindleyEbersol

Go on u tube and look electric clutch repairs. This funny lookin guy wid buck teeth o show ya how. Ah!!!  I forget his name 

953 nut
13 minutes ago, SpindleyEbersol said:

Go on u tube and look electric clutch repairs. This funny lookin guy wid buck teeth o show ya how. Ah!!!  I forget his name 

:WRS:

I have removed the electric clutch and replaced it with a pulley because it only operates the pump for the front end loader.

Just my opinion, but "Terrell" is a weird dude, If he would act like an adult he would probably have a lot more followers. I have watched a few of his videos and found that he passes over a lot of information that should be included. However, he is better than most internet mechanical "experts".

Please take a few minutes and introduce yourself to the members here.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/