WHMan2012

44" 2-Stage Assembly Questions

WHMan2012

Oh Ya, I Made My Weight Box First Priority, Along With A  Pair Of 50# Wheel Weights. In My Box I Have 140#'s Of Steel Weights, And Filled The Rest Of The Area In With Roughly Two 40# Bags Of Traction Sand. As Of Now It Seems To Work Out Ok, I Notice That When I'm Snow Blowing I Can Still Steer Ok, But Definitely Need A Different Set Of Front Tires That'll Dig In Better Than These Lawn Tires.

• Like 1

WHMan2012

More Photos …IMG_20190105_144323707.jpg.5eab9be601c8f8d02fbb05d5c527fb34.jpgIMG_20190105_144329666.jpg.0c822b3eb055f4390cfd2e2cfccd9f17.jpgIMG_20190123_134850556_HDR.jpg.9903a422b501fc981c8b64774873ab84.jpgIMG_20190123_134840022_HDR.jpg.721a9a9b21cd6f63a7f25d5f7986601c.jpg

• Like 2

WHMan2012

Where Can I Find The People Who Built Their Own Cabs For The 300, 400 & 500 Series Tractors ? I tried Searching And Couldn't Find The DYI Guys Who Just Ended Up Making Their Own ? I Love Snow Blowing, Just Not Snow Blowing Back At Me LOL, Thank You. 

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Where Can I Find The People Who Built Their Own Cabs For The 300, 400 & 500 Series Tractors ? I tried Searching And Couldn't Find The DYI Guys Who Just Ended Up Making Their Own ? I Love Snow Blowing, Just Not Snow Blowing Back At Me LOL, Thank You. 

Original Cab Company is still in business and they pop up for sale quite a bit , I have also seen an universal cab from Sears or Husqvarna on a 520 on here a few years back...my feelings are "something is BETTER than nothing".

Screenshot_20190131-161621.png

Screenshot_20190131-161628.png

Screenshot_20190131-161657.png

• Excellent 1

WHMan2012

Thank You And You're Right, Something Is Better Than Nothing . I'll Check Into These, I Thought I Saw Some Good DIY Cabs But Can't Remember From Where On Here Lol. Thanks Again For The Help.

• Thanks 1

WHMan2012

Just Finished Clearing The Driveway.  We Got About 4- 5'' 's Of Snow, Now Sleeting On Top And Just Have To Say Hands Down Those Paddles On The Auger Made A Huge Difference. From Throwing The Snow Farther, To Keeping The Impeller Tub Free Of Any Snow That May Have Wanted To Clog, This Snow Thrower To Me Was Worth All The Headaches, Cuts, Bruises, Costs, You Name It And Yes I'd do It All Again. In Fact I'd Love To Restore Another, Just In Case The Neighbors Decide To Leave Any Surprises In Their Driveway For Me To Find LOL. Anyways, Hope Everyone Is Having As Much Fun As I Have Been Having This Winter And Just Wanted To Thank Everyone Who Helped Me Out With This Project And Good Luck To Those Who May Check Out This Thread For Information On Their Own Quest To Rebuild One Of These Units. Now On To Rebuilding The Two Rototillers For Spring Time, I'm Sure I'll Be Needing Some Help With Those As Well. Thanks Again, Take Care.

• Excellent 3

wallfish
On 1/23/2019 at 12:08 AM, WHMan2012 said:

I Notice That When I'm Snow Blowing I Can Still Steer Ok, But Definitely Need A Different Set Of Front Tires That'll Dig In Better Than These Lawn Tires.

Glad to see you got her going.

As far as steering, #40 roller chain wrapped around the fronts. Deflate the tires and put the chain on, inflate to get them tight. They must be installed fairly tight with the tire deflated and kept very tight when inflated or they will work their way off from the side load as you steer. The other option is tri-rib tires but I've used both setups and the roller chain work much better.

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Thank you for your advice, but with our newly paved driveway the #40 chain is out of the question, but I will look into the tri-rib tires. I did pick up a ( Used ) set of Carlisle snow blower tires and they're working ok for now, but I already had to Slime them due to dry rot cracks. Now that I got her up and running and now know what she's capable of, I will be putting new tires on by next Winter along with a cab and some other new upgrades, like a new seat for one. preferably one that doesn't crack in the cold. I have a foam style on my plow tractor and that works really good. Any other ideas and places to get them would be helpful as well, thanks. Really would like a snow storm up here that didn't involve rain at the end of it. Quick question does anyone know who posted that video on youtube of the 416-8 throwing snow with one of these 2-stages ? His name there is 74 Sharps and it was posted in 2015. It looks like he's throwing it a mile in the video lol. Anyways after watching that video, I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. Just wanted to say thanks for posting that video, love the sound of that Onan !!

WVHillbilly520H

Front wheel weights help some as well, but IMHO the turf tires with the peanut tread or even bar lug tread will help with the steering too.

IMAG5466.jpg

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Thank you for the photo and info, I have to ask, how much Snow do you guys normally get down there in Virginia ? When I was stationed in Norfolk, all they ever got was a cold rain / sleet and God forbid if there was a chance of snow, lol they'd shut everything down. I heard they didn't have any snow removal equipment in the area to deal with anything major. Anyways, thank you again.

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, WHMan2012 said:

Thank you for the photo and info, I have to ask, how much Snow do you guys normally get down there in Virginia ? When I was stationed in Norfolk, all they ever got was a cold rain / sleet and God forbid if there was a chance of snow, lol they'd shut everything down. I heard they didn't have any snow removal equipment in the area to deal with anything major. Anyways, thank you again.

Depends,  average 6-10" mostly 6" and less, but ever since I bought this one new in 1998 have gotten least a dozen storms over 12" all the way to this 2 footer.

895_1.jpg

• Excellent 1

WHMan2012

It seems the opposite this year for me anyways. Ever since I put this all together, all we've had are little 4-6" storms with rain / sleet at the end. But I'm optimistic that the big one will come soon. 

• Like 1

WHMan2012

Just a quick update on this rebuild. Almost 6 years later and she's still going strong. Well worth the time and money to rebuild these Blowers, they definitely don't make them like this anymore. Thanks for all the views hoped this thread has helped a lot of you guys out there answer some questions you may have had about rebuilding or fixing yours or someone you know. 

• Excellent 1