Elkskin's mower junkyard

need some input

Elkskin's mower junkyard

okay on my 552 wheel horse i put a h70 from a snowblower on it. in one way i would like to put the electric start from the short block that was on the 552 onto the h70. but i  am not sure i want to do that because of the lack of a actually regulator in that system. so does anyone have any ideas i was thinking of see what others have done to their tecumseh model wheel horses.

ebinmaine

We did a similar thing on Trina's 657. I have a Briggs & Stratton engine from a 1979 snowblower sitting in there right now. There is no voltage output back into the tractor. We use the battery to start it with the 12-volt starter and we charge the battery about every 3 or 4 weeks and it's been working perfectly awesome.

pfrederi

I put electric start on my L107 but no charging system.  Has run that way for almost 20 years now.  i use her frequently all year long. Put a charger on it ever 2-3 months and she is happy.

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I put electric start on my L107 but no charging system.  Has run that way for almost 20 years now.  i use her frequently all year long. Put a charger on it ever 2-3 months and she is happy.

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We did a similar thing on Trina's 657. I have a Briggs & Stratton engine from a 1979 snowblower sitting in there right now. There is no voltage output back into the tractor. We use the battery to start it with the 12-volt starter and we charge the battery about every 3 or 4 weeks and it's been working perfectly awesome.

This is what I am talking about it converts a.c. to dc but they have tendacy of over charging

20181029_115119.jpg

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

This is what I am talking about it converts a.c. to dc but they have tendacy of over charging

20181029_115119.jpg

I'm going to default to Paul for the final verdict on this one but if I remember correctly there was a bulletin I read about our Tecumseh that said to remove one of the two diodes and at that point it could only charge 1.5 amps.

• Excellent 1

Rob R

Was wondering if anyone ever put a 110-115 plug-in starter onto a tractor would seem to make sense to me for a tractor in some cases especially if all it was ever used for was plowing or blowing snow.....  just saying.... on many of those engines you have a pull start back-up anyway and once the engine is warm....  no issue using this.....

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, Rob R said:

Was wondering if anyone ever put a 110-115 plug-in starter onto a tractor would seem to make sense to me for a tractor in some cases especially if all it was ever used for was plowing or blowing snow.....  just saying.... on many of those engines you have a pull start back-up anyway and once the engine is warm....  no issue using this.....

Right now the 552 has that

20181013_195712.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Rob R said:

never done it myself or known anybody who has but I think it's a wonderful idea.

particularly given the circumstances of only using the tractor in cold weather and wanting to be able to start it easily so you can move snow.

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

I kind of like idea of making up another light kit like I did on 701 but not has powerful

pfrederi
1 hour ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

20181029_115119.jpg

That is the standard fixed 3 amp charge system for Techys.  Eric is right you pull one diode and it becomes a 1.5 amp charger.  Like I said I didn't bother to try it as you also have to pull the flywheel and swap in the the correct magneto which is also the charging stator.  Does your engine have that??  I use mine in the winter to haul coal...She fires right up and I just put her on the charger every 2 months instead of 3.  If you are thinking of adding lights they would have to be pretty small LED with only 3 amps to work with...

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

The short block has mag/stator and correct flywheel. Btw anyway how to find hp out of a sbh-169a 

pfrederi

Not sure but if the stroke is 2.5 Inches and the bore 2.625= 6hp         2-17/32 stroke 2.75 bore = 7HP