soofoodude

If 5xi hydro is over filled, is it toast?

soofoodude

I bought my second 523dxi with attachments that I thought was in mint condition . 359 hours, clean as a whistle and purred like a kitten. Arrived after dark and pulled it on the trailer for the trek home. Backing it off the trailer the next day, it seemed to growl more than normal. Made a couple test drive loops around the driveway and headed to the shed. I noticed it had a much higher ground speed than my older dxi and when I let off the forward pedal there was a significant growling and sudden reduction in forward progress. I checked tranny fluid level and it seemed high, but I had just shut if off and thought it hadn't drained down yet.  It left me scratching my head.  A few days later I mounted the bagger and made a 200 foot swath in the yard.  Half way thru I noticed the power steering was not functioning properly. Had to turn the wheel 2-3 times to turn around. by the time I got back to the shop (100 feet), I had lost 99% of the PS and 90% of the tranny.  Got off, kicked the tire and went to lunch.  After letting it set I checked the tranny fluid again.  A good 1/4" above the full line.  When I bought it the PO told me they had very recently changed out the fluid to a synthetic and installed a new (upgraded) PS filter which was recommended by his Toro dealer.  He told me they pulled axle shaft, jacked it up and let it set a day or two to entirely drain the drive line and made sure 100% (7 quarts ) of fluid was removed. So here I am wondering what to do with it - I have zero motion and zero PS.  The 523 Hydraulic Manual shows the following fluid flow schematic.  I figure either the hydro is shot or the PS control unit is toast.  If I could check the high pressure input to the PS pump, would that tell me if the Hydro is shot?  I am not much of a mechanic and will probably have to take it into a dealer. I would take any advice you may have. I paid good money for this outfit.  PS units are $1000 and Hydro's look to be $2500.  This might be a 5 figure outfit if shop labor equals new parts cost. 

14190091_Hydraulicschematic.png.1717a764a00860d78bb875b444d34627.png

cleat

What fluid did they actually use (engine oil, gear oil ATF etc).

I don't think a little overfull has anything to do with it.

I also wonder if he was having this problem and changed the fluid hoping that would fix it.

Cleat

• Like 1

soofoodude

They used Rotella Synthetic 5w-40.  I also do not think the overfill had anything to do with it.  From the Hydraulic Manual - "IMPORTANT: Do not fill the reservoir above
the FULL line as the reservoir may overflow after the tractor is stopped and has set for awhile."  I am beginning to get the same suspicion as you.  Of course it is deer season and I have not got a chance to visit with the PO.  They only have one Toro dealer in the town where I purchased it.  I will be calling them on Monday.  The PO is well known by the dealership.  I will not say more than that.

20181022_195152.jpg.53cc2827d21b5c4574bbd0d04632551c.jpg20181023_165428.jpg.e34c33976a44c9ff318515f953c7e708.jpg

cleat

I hope you hooked up the belt on the bagger.

A call to the dealer then may well give an answer but then you need to figure out the actual repair (I can't help, all of my Hydro's have been trouble free so far).

Cleat

soofoodude

Thanks for the input Cleat. I did hook up the belt and it worked great. First bagger I've ever owned. I wonder how many people do not use a counterweight on the left side of the deck? I kind of hate to drill extra holes in it.  I will only use it in the fall for leaves. 

cleat

Mine with the 48" deck on a 520 does not have the counterweight but does have a spring on the bagger side of the deck.

Really no difference once the deck is on the ground riding on the wheels, just helps it lift more even in transport position.

Here is the bagger on a 520.

1049061095_AllWheelHorsesoutAugust20164.jpg.fa5dbd3033367ccaefc173c8c74164e7.jpg

1088776972_Baggerbeltdrive1.jpg.6a2dafdb2ab7cb1aca281c0b32d08ab0.jpg

You can just see the spring under the footrest in this picture.

1825974851_WheelHorse520HCwith48deckandbagger4.jpg.bd1e7b6e252c8cf7de1850a833ba39cc.jpg

Cleat

soofoodude

Thanks again. Nice looking herd there.  Maybe someday I'll get a chance to put a spit shine on mine and get a similar photo of my  two dxi's (hopefully) and a 520H.

shallowwatersailor

I would change out the 5W-40 that is in there and replace it with the correct 10W-30 before anything else. I'm not sure if it would make that much difference but it would be a place to start. What filter was installed? A Toro filter or NAPA 1410 are what I would use. Hopefully it isn't an engine oil filter as opposed to a hydraulic filter.

soofoodude

The filter upgrade was recommended by the toro dealer. I fired it up again tonight and it has maybe 5% steering and zero motion. The filtered circuit shown above makes me think the transmission is direct drive from the hydro. If the filter was blocking flow wouldn't it have at least a little motion? I forgot to check the lift function but will do that tomorrow before I start calling dealers. Thanks for the input.

20181028_132923.jpg

20181028_132854.jpg

DennisThornton

I gather there are 2 new entries, fluid and filter.  I doubt it's the fluid. Logic tells me to at least investigate the filter. Directional?  Defective? Bypass it perhaps? Or maybe it's just a red herring... 

lynnmor

I had a log splitter suddenly quit on me and it turned out to be the filter check valve came apart and a piece closed off the supply line in the tank.  I don't know if that is possible in your system, but something to consider.

shallowwatersailor
11 hours ago, soofoodude said:

The filter upgrade was recommended by the toro dealer. I fired it up again tonight and it has maybe 5% steering and zero motion. The filtered circuit shown above makes me think the transmission is direct drive from the hydro. If the filter was blocking flow wouldn't it have at least a little motion? I forgot to check the lift function but will do that tomorrow before I start calling dealers. Thanks for the input.

20181028_132923.jpg

20181028_132854.jpg

That is the hydraulic steering screen. They never go bad!  Inside is a screen that just needs to be cleaned. That aftermarket item might be restricting the flow too much.

What is the condition of the transmission filter underneath the tractor? It could be the wrong aftermarket filter or maybe even never been changed! With regards to 5W-40 vs the proper 10W-30, It is best to put everything back to normal before doing any serious troubleshooting.

soofoodude

Great comments gents - I am returning the unit to the dealer who recommended the new filter.   I assume there is some type of pressure relief valve somewhere on the hydro unit to prevent damage if there is a plugged line - hopefully.   I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Berco

If you need to go down this road; I may have a complete 518XI transaxle with hydraulic pump available for sale.

Pierrepont

So,

How did this all turn out please?

All good?

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, Pierrepont said:

So,

How did this all turn out please?

All good?

:text-yeahthat:...wondering if it was just the aftermarket steering filter?

LRE

Soofoodude, what happened to this unit? Did it get fixed? Traded? Junked? Said you would keep us posted!