Pullstart

Shortest spark plug for K241?

Pullstart

As you might see, hood clearance is tight in my 1073 project for the Mrs.  I’m just wondering if anyone has any assortment of old plugs that have been stored over the years for height comparison?  I am going to try to shave an angle into the hood stand to help tip the tank and hood at a little bit of angle to help gain some real estate too.

A1624CF8-DDB3-402E-90F5-68E2671BF8E5.jpeg

953 nut
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

I am going to try to shave an angle into the hood stand to help tip the tank and hood at a little bit of angle to help gain some real estate too.

I was thinking that same thing when you talked about needing to raise the steering wheel to make up for the seat height. If the hood stand is tilted forward it will also bring the steering shaft closer to vertical so it won't impinge on the seat too badly. May need a small universal joint and pillow block to keep the steering gear in proper alignment.

If you need a bit more room for the spark plug you could always use a gear drive mower gear cover like @Ed Kennell did on the low rider.

1382596581_1-8HappyBirthdayEd.JPG.63a66680971fa2e2252bc715e6e8c96d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I was thinking that same thing when you talked about needing to raise the steering wheel to make up for the seat height. If the hood stand is tilted forward it will also bring the steering shaft closer to vertical so it won't impinge on the seat too badly. May need a small universal joint and pillow block to keep the steering gear in proper alignment.

If you need a bit more room for the spark plug you could always use a gear drive mower gear cover like @Ed Kennell did on the low rider.

1382596581_1-8HappyBirthdayEd.JPG.63a66680971fa2e2252bc715e6e8c96d.JPG

I’ve got a couple spares, we might just see!  Thanks Richard!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 10/26/2018 at 8:53 AM, pullstart said:

assortment of old plugs that have been stored over the years for height comparison

Kevin how about a chain saw plug?

squonk

Turn the cover forward and make a scoop! :banana-wrench:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

Turn the cover forward and make a scoop! :banana-wrench:

Careful there squonky...

Might take in too much air and get going too fast due to excessive horsepower build up.

• Like 1

953 nut
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Careful there squonky...

Might take in too much air and get going too fast due to excessive horsepower build up.

:confusion-confused:          Probably wouldn't get going too fast because of the aerodynamic drag that would be created!              :ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:          Probably wouldn't get going too fast because of the aerodynamic drag that would be created!              :ychain:

Oh yes.

I forget about the well known "coefficient of drag on scoop vs added hp" sometimes.

• Haha 1

squonk
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Careful there squonky...

Put a screen on the front to keep from sucking in birds! :)

• Haha 2

Pullstart

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/H10C

so I found a cross reference, but I don’t think it’s all that thorough.  It looks like any and all heat ranges have been compiled into “yeah, it’ll fit” in the same manner of wrecklessness as “hold my beer, watch this”

I think With shaving a new angle into the dash stand and building a new front mount, I gained the clearance I need.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

It looks like any and all heat ranges have been compiled into “yeah, it’ll fit” in the same manner of wrecklessness...

You are exactly correct about that.

That is a list of spark plug part numbers that will physically fit into the same space that an h10c will fit.

That does absolutely NOT mean that they are compatible for every engine.

That right there is exactly why Champion is still trying to fight off a terrible reputation that they gained back in the 1980s and 1990s by combining heat ranges.

https://goo.gl/images/Wn63DN

If you click on the link above you will see a breakdown of the individual positions of the Champion part number.

A cj8 spark plug will physically replace a j8c spark plug.

The heat range is the same.

The C at the beginning of the part number means that it is a bantam height or short porcelained plug.

It would replace fine if the wire would reach ok.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you for a series 10 heat range. I don't know if there is one available.

I am glad to see that you are able to fix the tractor to make it work without having to modify the plug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1