McGrew

What is it?

McGrew

My name is Danny, and I have a “drug”  problem...  My wife “drug” me into another antique store today.  Most of the places I get drug have little that interests me, but a few of them have some old tools.  I rarely buy anything that I do not see a use for, but today was different.  I found this plier like tool that appears quite old, but I have no. Idea what it was designed to do.  So of course I bought it!  I am hoping someone can tell me what it is? 

It is a little over 15 inches long.  The hole in one jaw is about 7/8”, and the ball is about 9/16” in diameter.  The hinge is spring loaded.  What do I have?  It has no marking of any kind.   Thanks!  Danny

CBF5C3D1-1898-4A85-9643-1FDBB9585473.jpeg

1D3E44A1-35EB-48AB-B9E2-794A68D71056.jpeg

A1F7B9E8-5CB9-48C3-8197-C051C04523F8.jpeg

Edited by McGrew
More info
  • Like 5

953 nut

:confusion-confused:            Don't ever recall seeing a :thingy: like that before. Are there any numbers or names anywhere on it? 

The thumb screw and bolt just don't look like they belong with it.   :twocents-02cents:

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

squonk

Thumscrew locks it shut. What it's for I have no idea. Some kind of hole punch? 

953 nut
30 minutes ago, squonk said:

Thumscrew locks it shut.

Understood, but it doesn't look like it belongs to this tool; much too new looking.

SylvanLakeWH

Looks sorta like an old cattle / bull nose lead...But only 1/2 like it...

image.png.6645ce0bdd3e82cb71e9e4301d369ade.png

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

gwest_ca

McGrew

Garry, Thank you!  I believe you hit it on the head.   I had a feeling it was for stretching leather.  The thumbscrew allows you to gradually apply more pressure while allowing the material to stretch.  953, I agree the thumbscrew and threads do not look period, but the threaded rod is held in place with a solid pin and may be original.  I think someone did some cleaning on this thing and the thumbscrew which is cast iron may be a replacement.  

I only wish it were something more exciting....  Bunions?  Yuck!  Oh well, I also have my Grandfathers cobbler tools.  He was a jack of all trades, and one of his trades was shoe repair.  I can add this to his tools.  Thanks!  Danny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Another amazing thing that Garry was able to come up with an answer for.  :bow-blue:     Love it!

• Like 3