chris sutton

Help needed with a Snowblower

chris sutton

Looking for some help with a snowblower I've just picked up.

Its all in bits and has no ID tag on it, I've downloaded some manuals for it and it looks all there.

It's has had some welding done to it and came with new bearings, rollers and chain .

If anyone can help with model or date that would help also I'm looking for photos and size of decals so I can get them reproduced here in the UK

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

You most likely have one of these provided the housing width is about 37". The wings added to these make it 42" wide. Reason being you have a bushing in the rear of the frame bracket (4th & 5th photos) where it attaches to the tractor. A long bolt goes through the tractor frame. They started to use the front quick hitch instead of the bolt in 1973.

1966-67 model ST-376

1968 model 6-1211

1969 6-6211 plus 6-9111

1970-72 model 6-6212 plus 6-9112 - All without front quick hitch so not a direct fit for 1973 and later tractors.

Garry

Adding

I don't see the wings.

The first used were a plain flat plate.

They then added a bend to the front of the wing that matches the bend on the end plate of the housing. When mounted the front 2" of the wing was parallel with the housing end so it would not suck you into a snowbank.

See you have some new rollers for the chute. They have not been available for years.

The wheels were originally solid cast iron and much smaller.

• Like 1

chris sutton

Thanks Garry.

The wheel bolt was broken and one missing, iwas lucky to have one in stock from an old mower deck and the broken bit came out with a bit of heat hears some more progress photos,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

chris sutton

Got a few bits cleaned up and primed and new axle bearings.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

In case you have a 1975 or newer model they have a spool on the crank for the cable.

This manual has the cable wrapping description.

Garry

Snowthrower_42in_1975_6-6214 Cable spool SS.jpg

chris sutton

Had some nice weather so I managed to get some of parts painted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

chris sutton

Next item out of the box of bits was the flag with a badly rusted pin, after a clean up with the grinder and new pin welded in made it serviceable.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

chris sutton

Ive managed to get a few more bits done.

The drive pulley was full of rust holes , i found another pulley but the centre was different so I cut the centres out on the lathe and welded the old centre in the new pulley also got some more parts cleaned and primered 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

chris sutton

As this is an early model it had the old 3/8" nut and bolt to fit it to the frame of the tractor so I've drilled out the hole to 5/8" and fitted a solid bar to fit it to the quick hitch.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

chris sutton

I'm trying to fit the drive shaft , I have new bearings and noticed that one has 2 set screws the other has 2 holes that I'm guessing a roll pin goes through and the shaft.

Can anyone tell me which side of the housing the bearing carriers fit and I'm guessing that both fit one side

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

pfrederi

Chris:  the mounting brackets for the bolt through the frame version and the front tachmatic version are different lengths

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice job on that pulley & lift flag repair Chris! :handgestures-thumbupright:

On the drive shaft bearings the one with the set screws looks correct but the one with the pin doesn't look to be correct unless you pin it to the drive shaft. They should both be eccentric locking bearings. looks like the one with the set screw is. There is a particular way they should be installed.

Check this out

Toro Technician Tips Eccentric Collar quality_tips_june.pdf

After studying your pics some more it does look like the one bearing is pinned to the drive shaft by looks of the hole on the outboard side of the drive gear keyway. Mine are both locking style but a late model blower.

Edited by WHX21
  • Like 2

chris sutton

Thanks Paul, at least it's shorter so I can cut it down and drill 2 holes and I'm glad I haven't painted it yet.

Thanks Jim the link was very helpful 

chris sutton

I've just had a look and put a tape as you have done, one side of mine has a 3/8" hole which is in the right place so I will drill through both sides and cut the excess off.

i might be able to leave the brace in place but if it snags the quick hitch I'll cut it out

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

chris sutton

Back into the workshop and changed the mounting bracket, I've drilled 2 5/8" holes and welded a piece of solid bar to the measurements that Paul gave me,

I'll cut the excess off tomorrow and get some primer on it.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

chris sutton

Got a few more bits done,

Ive cut down the mounting bracket and was hoping to get the last parts painted untill I noticed the chute aim adjuster was missing so more fabricating and by then it was to late to paint as the temperature was dropping.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Tach-a-matic

great job putting some old iron back into service!

• Like 1

chris sutton

Hopefully got the last 22 parts painted today, just assembly now and looking at the manual.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

chris sutton

Fitted a few more parts on, after fitting the new chain and aligning the sprockets I found the bracket to hold the guard on missing and as its all painted I didn't want to weld something on so I just made one and bolted it on.

I don't really want to do much more until I get it off the bench and fitted on a tractor as its getting heavy now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

chris sutton

Made some good progress today after getting it off the bench, I put it on a sack trolley and got it from the workshop to under the carport.

It was quite easy to fit into the quick hitch on the front of the Raider 12, the flag was easy to fit to the lift lever and all I had to do was fit a 1/2 inch spacer to give me a bit more height.

The next hour was spent looking through all my belts and was lucky to find one that fitted.

Bolted some more bits on so the parts box is almost empty and as darkness fell I fired the tractor up and ran the blower, spinning well and fast and the best thing it's spinning the right way.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Looks like new. Super job.

See you have what looks like a spring pin retaining the lift tube to the snowthrower hook. They have been known to get pushed out at the worst time.

Lift hook cotter pin 932034 is 3/16" x 1"

Lift hook flat washer 920013 is 5/8" SAE

Garry

• Thanks 1

chris sutton
On 11/19/2018 at 10:44 AM, gwest_ca said:

Looks like new. Super job.

See you have what looks like a spring pin retaining the lift tube to the snowthrower hook. They have been known to get pushed out at the worst time.

Lift hook cotter pin 932034 is 3/16" x 1"

Lift hook flat washer 920013 is 5/8" SAE

Garry

Thanks for that Garry, I just put the R clip on temporary to hold to lift tube on while I tried it on the tractor, If I fit it permanently i’ll Fit the right pin and washer.