WildmanC120

C-161 Twin. Engine runs after key is off

WildmanC120

I've been working on this C-161 Twin I got. Anyone know why you turn the key off the engine still continues to run?  Not sure what is going on as the wiring is all intact and does not seem to be butchered or messed with. 

gwest_ca

Need to be real careful checking this out. The B&S engine ignition is self powered so the ignition just needs to be grounded to shut it off. Do not allow any battery voltage into the engine ignition wire. If will go up in smoke.

These are wired a little different than most.

They used a battery type of ignition switch to control a kill relay that grounds the ignition wire to shut it off. This ignition switch will have an I (eye) terminal.

Click on the fuzzy pictures.

Garry

953 nut

Couple of quick things to check. remove the plate the ignition switch is on and clean and tighten the mounting area to insure a good ground. Also, remove the relay and clean the contacts for it. Once this is done in a quiet area you can turn the key from run to off and back to run to hear if the relay is operating. If you can't hear it closing and opening let us know and we can tell you the steps to determine what part may be the problem.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

The kill wires that go to the coils have little spade connectors to them. If all else fails, it would be easy to just add a toggle switch that goes to ground on the frame and connects to the kill wires.

I got a free MTD husky that had the coils fried from a solenoid that was wired backwards. The 'mechanic" that did the deed panicked and cut the battery wire in two with a side cutter when the magic smoke appeared. Even if the solenoid was wired correctly, that tractor would   have died from overheating from the massive mouse nest i found.

Some Briggs engines also have a fuel valve that prevents backfire. These valves shut off the fuel at the carburetor when you turn off the key. .If you want to disable the silly safety switches on engines so equipped, just leave the kill wire to the coils not connected and the engine will shut down a few seconds after you turn off the key. 

Good luck. This should be an easy fix

WildmanC120

Thank you for the diagrams. I did not get a chance to look into this yet. I spent the better part of the day getting the carb back on, fuel line buttoned up and the engine shroud etc back on.  I also had another headlight lens that was not busted I installed.  Even though its not the correct one, it is way better then the one that was one there since it was busted to pieces.

Is this the relay you guys are talking about?

IMG_20181019_151100.jpg

IMG_20181019_151114.jpg

gwest_ca

That should be the one. 

Garry

WildmanC120
43 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

That should be the one. 

Garry

OK thanks.  Ill dig deeper into this maybe this weekend.  I think I have to tear the carb apart again.  By the time you bring these back from the dead you are better off just buying a running and driving one already. UGH