KC8CST

Governor help on a K90

KC8CST

Having trouble with my governor on my k90. I have adjusted several times by the book but it does not make any difference.  Engine will easily overspeed or bog down on small hills to the point it dies.  It seems the k90/91 has a different setup for the governor than all other kohler models.  I have searched but cannot find any info outside of the adjustment procedure. Any help would be much appreciated

stevasaurus

This is out of an old Chilton's Small Engine manual I have.  It is most likely the same thing you are looking at.

DSCF9003.JPG

• Like 1

buckrancher

if you are adjusting the governor as the book says and it still does not function correctly you are probably have missing or broken parts inside  the engine

brian

• Like 1

KC8CST
2 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

if you are adjusting the governor as the book says and it still does not function correctly you are probably have missing or broken parts inside  the engine

brian

That's what I am trying to figure out. I have not found any documents on how the k90/91 governor works. I am aware there is no gear like all other kohlers but beyond that I'm lost. A simple explanation on how the k90/91 system works may help me diagnose the problem  

rmaynard

Attached to the back side of the camshaft gear is a retainer (D), 4 balls (C), and a thrust bushing (B).

image.png.aabb2a83fcb9d8462565f1e5f0d806f3.png

As the speed increased, the balls would move outward by centrifugal force causing the thrust bushing (B) to push against the governor shaft (H), rotating it slightly, causing the governor lever (A) on the outside of the engine to move.

image.png.3f57ff0761c18b3cf379af7678a54c37.png

Hope that helps.

Chances are your balls have come out of their retainer and fallen to the bottom of the oil pan.

Edited by rmaynard
added more context

KC8CST
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Attached to the back side of the camshaft gear is a retainer (D), 4 balls (C), and a thrust bushing (B).

image.png.aabb2a83fcb9d8462565f1e5f0d806f3.png

As the speed increased, the balls would move outward by centrifugal force causing the thrust bushing (B) to push against the governor shaft (H), rotating it slightly, causing the governor lever (A) on the outside of the engine to move.

image.png.3f57ff0761c18b3cf379af7678a54c37.png

Hope that helps.

Chances are your balls have come out of their retainer and fallen to the bottom of the oil pan.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you for the explanation.  Looks like I will be pulling it apart to see what is missing or out of place.