insertnamehere987

Kohler Magnum 18 opposed missing on one cylinder

insertnamehere987

Hey all, I have a D-160 with the Kohler Magnum 18hp opposed twin engine on it. Picked it up last winter and have been mowing all summer with it, problem free...save a bad belt. Anyhow, last week I noticed it bog out when going from reverse to forward and then it completely died about 20 feet later. Wouldn't refire so disengaged the hydros and pulled it back to the house with the 4 wheeler. Once it cooled off it refired, but seems to have a miss on the right/passenger side cylinder. I've since changed plugs and air filter and checked fuel flow with no luck. Also did a spark test and things seem to be fine there. Get about 85lbs of compression on each cylinder but haven't tried to test without compression release and don't have the stuff to do a leakdown I don't think. Seems to run worse with the air breather on. I just don't know where to go next without tearing into the engine and was wondering if y'all may have any ideas here.

Edited by insertnamehere987

pfrederi

To clarify you have a Magnum 18 on a D series  Is there a spec #...That would not be an original engine.  It would have a magneto ignition vs a Battery on the original K-series.  The original emgnes did not have ACR and I am not sure that magnum twins do either.

Welcome to RS

•  
Edited by pfrederi

insertnamehere987

Correct it is not the original engine. I bought it off a guy who had mostly rebuilt it/repainted/rewired and so on but never got it finished. All I have been able to find out is that it's the M18 twin cylinder. Where would I find the spec number--the silver sticker on the engine is worn completely bare? I know this service manual applies https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/pub/TP-2204-B_M18_M20_REVISED5_93.pdf

Thanks for the welcome and any help.

edit: upon looking at the service manual the spec number would be on that sticker that is completely worn out...

pfrederi

Equal if a bit low pressure would indicate you do not have a valve or compression issue with the one cylinder.  Magnum ignitions are pretty reliable. Ar you using a spark plug tester?  Does the flash look consistent on the right side.  can you run it long enough to get hot and maybe die again...then test for spark.

insertnamehere987

Warming it up now...I've got light testers on both plugs

• Like 2

insertnamehere987

Not losing any strength on spark and adjusted the idle air screw to stock. It was turned way in (Walbro carb with non adjustable main). Ran much better but noticed I have a carb full of gas when I shut it off. Thinking the float is stuck now. 

Edit: File this one under the idiot attack problem. Somehow or another I never noticed the fuel still in the carb. Took it off, cleaned it thoroughly and we seem to be back to wheeling. Thought I'd add a pic of her at work from this summer for y'all. Thanks for the help.

horse.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, insertnamehere987 said:

Took it off, cleaned it thoroughly and we seem to be back to wheeling.

:WRS:

Glad you got it going again and it wasn't anything serious.     :woohoo:      Those Kohler twins are a strong reliable power plant.