JAinVA

Sears Bankruptcy

richmondred01

My grandfathers house was bought via the sears catalog.

Sears was the amazon on the 20th century. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

It's all about the profits, and the dividends...nothing personnel.  

• Sad 2

Achto

Sears started out as a mail order company. I believe that if they would  have paid attention to the market, dropped the stores that were not doing good & went to an internet order company ( essentially going back to their roots)  they probably would still be in business. JMO. I do miss Sears stores and luckily Black & Decker / Stanley picked up the Craftsman tool line so at least your life time warranty can still be honored. 

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Just go to a blue box store they have Craftsman everywhere. A couple of weeks ago wife wanted to go to mall , so I did my usual hanging around the tool department at Sears . The shelves were barely stocked and a lot of empty space on shelves. A couple of days later went to blue box store to pick up a couple of bolts , Craftsman products were every where. I heard Stanley has started on prototypes of riding mowers and yard tools. As of February there will only be one Sears store in Richmond and we haven't had a K Mart in a few years. 

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

My grandfathers house was bought via the sears catalog.

Sears was the amazon on the 20th century. 

In reality we’ve gone full circle and are headed deep in to the Catalog order days again.  Is it just electronic Catalogs. 

I too bought Craftsman tools starting about age 16. The original ones held up, The new ones not so great

my wife and I were just talking about the Wish oil, what great memories

• Like 1

Razorback

Our family shopped at Sears a LOT when I was a kid in the 60's-70's. Always had Kenmore appliances. Dad bought tools there, several lawn tractors and one SS16 GT, and I remember we'd always go there for school clothes and sometimes for shoes. I'm sure Santa brought us a lot of stuff from Sears!

In my own adulthood I have bought several appliances there, lots of tools, and just the other day was using my Signature Series 12V Battery Charger, and a nice bench grinder.

Ran across this several years ago in an antique shop.... had to have it just because it was in great shape and was a CRAFTSMAN...... never found it to work especially well in the garden (or, maybe I had other things to do the job), so it just hangs in the rafters of the shed.....

DSCF1539.JPG

DSCF1540.JPG

DSCF1541.JPG

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ohiofarmer

I did some installed sales for kitchen cabinets and bathrooms and such things. The store out of Dayton Ohio was run by grifters who sold the customer itemized repair lists and had a five copy carbon paper sheet.  My jobs kept coming up short on stuff like removing , cleaning and replacing the customer's sink in a new counter top.   Imagine my surprise when the customer showed me the original sales bill on which he paid all the items that were not included on JUST my copy [but had to be done] to complete the job....All it takes is a metal plate to keep the missing items from transferring through that carbon paper.

I threatened to write Chicago about it and then got paid and did not get any other work from them.   Their installed sales was not around for much longer anyway.

Then there is the time they stole $100.00 by putting a non-requested option on my Sears Discover card....  That little trick cost them more than the $100 in broken craftsman hand tools, believe me

Edited by ohiofarmer