Sign in to follow this  
Guest fireman

HY-2 Help

Guest fireman

I removed the HY-2 piston from the tractor. Removed the hoses. Both ends are stuck firmly in place. I have it upright with PB soaking in the seam hoping it frees it. Is there anything else i'm missing? I have the assembly drawing and looks like the hose fittings are all that hold the ends in.

WHC-125

What are you taking it apart for? Are you rebuilding it?

past7971

I sent you a email off-group with my phone number. I know a "trick" that may help

linen beige

I took mine apart for new O rings a couple of months ago. The hose fittings are the only thing holding it together. I put an old beat up long extension through the rear mounting hole and used a pipe wrench on the cylinder housing where the end cap pushes in. Working the pipe wrench and extension against one another I was able to wiggle the end cap right out. If memory serves, I put a screwdriver shaft through the clevis to make a "T" handle and used that to just pull the front plug straight out. These ends can be gently tapped a bit further in to help loosen them (after the hoses are removed) if that helps.

CasualObserver

WTF Madison yahoo page

Someone took pictures when they serviced theirs, maybe it will help if you can see what you're going to get into? Check out the HY2 page.

past7971

Making any progress??? :thumbs: As a word of caution--go easy with any thoughts of pipe wrenches or clamping it down in a vise so you don't "tweak" the cylinder housing :whistle:

Guest fireman

I have been at work for the last 36 hours and don't get out till tomorrow at 8:00am. Then I go to my part time job and will 4 to 6 hours in there. By the time I get home, I will be shot. I will probably get to work on it Friday or Saturday. I will update when I make some progress.

Thanks for all the help

past7971,

I will call you later today.

WHC-125,

I am rebuilding it because the piston leaks like a sieve, and I don't use things till they break. Usually when that happens things are catostrophic. Always remember this in anything you do in life:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

linen beige

go easy with any thoughts of pipe wrenches or clamping it down in a vise so you don't "tweak" the cylinder housing :thumbs:

That's a very good point. I used the wrench at the very end of the cylinder and didn't have to use much torque. The extension and pipe wrench were really just used as handles. A strap wrench would be a much better idea for holding the tube.

Guest fireman

Well I got it apart last night :thumbs: . I made a tool that fit over the endcap with the large hole that catches the end of the tube. It has a slot in it so I could hang the piston between two plates in the press on a piece of rod and using the tool push the tube off the endcap. It worked perfect with no damage. Once that end was out, I turned it upside down and sat the edge of the other end of the tube just on the edge of two plates and used a long bar to press the other endcap out. Now the clevis end is soaking in PB so I can unscrew it off and slide the piston rod out of the endcap and get to the last o-ring. Today I will remove the old paint and clean everything up and make ready for paint and re-assembly.