WildmanC120

Picked up a C-161 Twin Auto. Got troubleshooting questions.

AMC RULES

Wonder, could a loose valve seat lock it up like that?

WildmanC120
46 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I would say if you pulled the plugs already fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for a day or two. Then try to bump it over with a wrench. 

I can't be bothered with it. I need something I can depend on for this winter.  I'm either gonna repower it or dump it. 

WildmanC120
46 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I would say if you pulled the plugs already fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for a day or two. Then try to bump it over with a wrench. 

I can't be bothered with it. I need something I can depend on for this winter.  I'm either gonna repower it or dump it. 

ericj

sometimes when you crank a motor over with a low battery the starter will stick engaged. Try turning the motor over backwards and see it it frees up. What you describes sounds like a weak battery instead of a motor trowing a rod and locking up. good luck

eric j 

WildmanC120
23 minutes ago, ericj said:

sometimes when you crank a motor over with a low battery the starter will stick engaged. Try turning the motor over backwards and see it it frees up. What you describes sounds like a weak battery instead of a motor trowing a rod and locking up. good luck

eric j 

Not to be rude, but I have stated in several posts that it will not turn over by hand forward or backward. 

Tuneup

So sorry to hear this! I'd want to keep it with that rare config but as you said your purpose is for a reliable machine for the soon-to-be-here winter. I'd say find a K Kohler but there's no guarantee you'll have a good engine then either. A Predator or similar would have to be engineered into that space, as you know. It's not a bolt-down. I have a 13 HP Vanguard sitting on a bench with nothing to do I could send to you but...same thing - engineering. You don't have to have 22HP - could get a smaller Harbor Freight engine. You might have to sleeve the crank for the PTO and the crank is unlikely to be bearing reinforced but would serve for the season. Pickle...

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/13-hp-420cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-60340.html

WildmanC120
6 hours ago, Tuneup said:

So sorry to hear this! I'd want to keep it with that rare config but as you said your purpose is for a reliable machine for the soon-to-be-here winter. I'd say find a K Kohler but there's no guarantee you'll have a good engine then either. A Predator or similar would have to be engineered into that space, as you know. It's not a bolt-down. I have a 13 HP Vanguard sitting on a bench with nothing to do I could send to you but...same thing - engineering. You don't have to have 22HP - could get a smaller Harbor Freight engine. You might have to sleeve the crank for the PTO and the crank is unlikely to be bearing reinforced but would serve for the season. Pickle...

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engines/13-hp-420cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-60340.html

Putting a smaller engine on this than 18-20 HP seems like a waste.  I already have a C-120 with a 12hp on it.  The whole purpose was to get a twin cylinder of at least 16hp and hydro lift to run my snow blower comfortably. My biggest issue right now is that I do not have a garage. I only have a 8x10 shed, so it's very difficult to work on things.  There is not really a lot of room to work inside.  I have been working outside but the temps have now dropped into the 40's.  

Ed Kennell

I believe there have been a couple threads on here detailing the 22HP predator installation. As I recall, it was not that complicated.

Oops, I just saw your post  looking for the installation post.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I believe there have been a couple threads on here detailing the 22HP predator installation. As I recall, it was not that complicated.

Oops, I just saw your post  looking for the installation post.

Thanks. I have not had much luck yet finding a good swap thread for the predators yet.  

Pretty sure I can make some mounts easy enough with some aluminum bar stock and not have to modify the tractor. 

Tuneup

Hopefully, you'll take the time to let us follow the saga of the retrofit but understood if not as it's getting colder faster. You're welcome to move south! I can't tell you how much less wood I chop and snow I shovel after we moved from northern NJ to Atlanta... :)

Get 'er done and good luck!

• Haha 1

WildmanC120
22 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

Hopefully, you'll take the time to let us follow the saga of the retrofit but understood if not as it's getting colder faster. You're welcome to move south! I can't tell you how much less wood I chop and snow I shovel after we moved from northern NJ to Atlanta... :)

Get 'er done and good luck!

I will be sure to post pics etc if I end up going the engine swap route.  It has gotten cold quick here in upstate NY though.  Not good working outside weather. 

WildmanC120

And so it begins....

IMG_20181024_145707.jpg

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Don't forget......:text-worthless:

WildmanC120

IMG_20181024_163102.jpg

IMG_20181024_163112.jpg

WildmanC120

IMG_20181024_174447.jpg

IMG_20181024_174453.jpg

• Like 1

WildmanC120

IMG_20181024_174501.jpg

IMG_20181024_175302.jpg

• Like 2

WildmanC120

Well there is my progress so far.  I was hoping to mount it to the same plate the briggs was on but that will not work as then the engine is too tall and the hood will not fully close.  Also the stock exhaust will need to be modified.  The muffler outlet points toward the operator so that's not very good. Also the pipes will need to be either extended a little or rolled down as the hood hits the muffler.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 10/24/2018 at 6:11 PM, WildmanC120 said:

Well there is my progress so far.  I was hoping to mount it to the same plate the briggs was on but that will not work as then the engine is too tall and the hood will not fully close.  Also the stock exhaust will need to be modified.  The muffler outlet points toward the operator so that's not very good. Also the pipes will need to be either extended a little or rolled down as the hood hits the muffler.

Good to see you are working through instead of dumping the tractor!  I have that engine on my wood splitter, it’s a beast but do yourself a favor and install a fuel shut off if you haven’t already.  My crankcase fills with fuel after sitting a while and the fuel tank is level with the engine.

also, if you have a welder, a cheap but effective way to accomplish re-routing the exhaust is look for a cheap set of v8 headers on Craigslist or eBay... and they have a ton of special bends you can cut apart and use to put the spent gas about anywhere you’d like.

• Like 1

Tuneup

You might be able to mount a couple of pepper pot mufflers in a pinch since time is critical. That'll serve for the season. You're making progress! I do wish I was closer - would take that Briggs off your hands.