bc.gold

Trading Post aka Landfill

bc.gold

The shelving came from a different site, not sure what year the grenade box is from.

shelving.png

gren1.png

gren2.png

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

That grenade box reminds me of what Dad told me about the wood boxes they got ordinance in for WWII. The wood was nice wide perfect boards with no knots in them.  Their tents at the air base all had wood floors and accessories made from salvaged wood.

Grampa and Dad bought tobacco and the boxes were all battle scarred from using metal hooks on them to move them about. The wood, however was very stable from being from  old growth trees. I built a vanity from the stuff and it is pretty cool having authentic patina.

You guys would understand that, no?

formariz
3 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

That grenade box reminds me of what Dad told me about the wood boxes they got ordinance in for WWII. The wood was nice wide perfect boards with no knots in them.  Their tents at the air base all had wood floors and accessories made from salvaged wood.

Grampa and Dad bought tobacco and the boxes were all battle scarred from using metal hooks on them to move them about. The wood, however was very stable from being from  old growth trees. I built a vanity from the stuff and it is pretty cool having authentic patina.

You guys would understand that, no?

You are correct about all of that. Along with amo boxes , pallets and other containers made to protect or carry something else it is absolutely incredible not only the quality but also many times the types of wood used in them. All of the wainscot in my kitchen is made from wood salvaged from pallets. I have salvaged from those items even great pieces of rosewood and a couple of nice ebony chunks. Those I found in pallets from a Honda motorcycle dealer.

bc.gold

Tire on truck had a slow leak and needed fixing, nearest tire shop 40 minute drive we decided to come home through Erickson and see what the landfill had to offer, picked up this strange looking thing with a pair of racks and a crank handle to make them go up and down.

I'm thinking strange thing could be an old cheese press, if anyone knows for sure please comment.

Brought back two old microwaves hoping the transformers are matched in size, going to make an electric magnet similar to the one shown in my recent post about the tuber making a magnetic drill press base. I hae a different use in mind, ya all know I'm into prospecting and such.

ch1.png

ch2.png

ch3.png]

formariz

Could be a small book binding press too. Position of handle is unusual for either a book binding or cheese press. Does it put even pressure on both sides?

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

Landfill score, portable pc

m1.png

m2.png

m3.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

PC in the above pictures is from around 1979, the Seagate ST-238 hard drive pictured  below is a whopping 33 megabytes.

33meg.png

bc.gold

After visiting the Motor vehicle branch a quick trip to the landfill, neat old push mower left behind for someone else to take home, large pail of barn paint that I brought home.

Don't need the barn paint but will pass it along to someone who can use it.

d1.png

d2.png

d3.png

bc.gold

Called in a scrap guy to haul a few trucks away, two down with one more truck and a large Toro commercial mower to go.

scrap.png

bc.gold

Champion Spark Plugs

plugs.png

Dakota8338
On 10/20/2018 at 4:45 PM, stevasaurus said:

You guys are amazing.  We have a dump here, but there is no going in a grabbing stuff.  I would have to ride around the neighborhood on garbage day to be that lucky.   :occasion-xmas:

It's the same here.  Even the people working there can not take anything unless they get it before it goes in the bin.

bc.gold

Smart drive washing machine shows up at the landfill, told another guy that is looking for these motors about last week but some people are just plain lazy.

So I grabbed it this afternoon for myself, lots of usable parts, electric water pump, a pair of stiff springs, and an assortment of hose clamps.

The majority of water pumps are magnetic drive on the impeller this one is attached to the armature - cheap pump. However the smart drive motor makes up for it, this motor has the strongest set of magnets that I've ever come across.

With a slight wire modification the smart drive motor becomes a turbine that maybe powered by air or water.

I wanted the spider from the rear of the stainless drum it has the shaft with the spline for the smart drive motor, inside the plastic 26 ball bearings run in oil - that was a first.

On a side note  for those that do their own appliance repair, these new machines are self diagnostic. The manufacture hides the book with the codes inside the machine. Once you know which buttons to push and their sequence the diagnostics will display the code on the front panel.

1wash.png

2pump.png

3smart.png

4spiderbearings.png

5bearings.png

6bearings.png

7springs.png

8book.png

9book.png

adsm08
On 10/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, stevasaurus said:

You guys are amazing.  We have a dump here, but there is no going in a grabbing stuff.  I would have to ride around the neighborhood on garbage day to be that lucky.   :occasion-xmas:

Same here, and it happens all the time.

Years ago I pulled an oak night stand with a built in lamp out of the trash. Refinished it, put a new switch in it, still using it.

Last week someone has a gas trimmer out in the trash as I went by. I was gone half an hour and it was gone by the time I got back.

bc.gold

Nice planer, 220 volt probably someone from Europe who brought all his tools over the pond.

Not that I need it but ti was there for the taking and I thought perhaps the blades could be used for another project that I have in mind, a mini shear.

220.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

Another road trip last Saturday, needed to replenish my pot metal inventory at the forth site found a large box with about 75 pounds and this old carburetor.

What's interesting about the carb it shipped on an engine that required a vertical throttle shaft, if you look at the casting you'll notice that it has been engineered for both vertical and horizontal throttle shaft positioning.

c1.png

c2.png

bc.gold

Coming back home from Napa took a route that brought us to the landfill that was closed Saturday. Pat is in her glory sorting clocks, 7 full box's.

c1.png

c2.png

bc.gold

Two more box's of old clocks and a pair of old Lawn Boy push mowers.

Favorite clock to bad its incomplete, the roving eye balls break me up.

boy.png

eye.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

formariz
On 6/21/2019 at 1:10 AM, bcgold said:

Nice planer, 220 volt probably someone from Europe who brought all his tools over the pond.

Not that I need it but ti was there for the taking and I thought perhaps the blades could be used for another project that I have in mind, a mini shear.

That is an extremely good planer.Great find.

• Like 1

bc.gold

The landfill custodian helped to load.

Is the upside down decal someones idea of a joke.

Anyone have an idea how old or who manufactured this mower for Eaton's.

teco1.png

teco2.png

teco3.png

bc.gold
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

The landfill custodian helped to load.

Is the upside down decal someones idea of a joke.

Anyone have an idea how old or who manufactured this mower for Eaton's.

teco1.png

teco2.png

teco3.png

Near as I could find this mower is from the 1960's made by Yardman, rebranded by Eaton's as Tecomaster. After watching this video I'm thinking it belongs back at the landfill.

bc.gold

Grocery shopping takes up to a larger town about am hour drive from home so we try to make the best use of our time, first stop check the rural box for mail dispose of household garbage in transfer bin, stop at the next village to pick up books from the library and top up the fuel.

Off to the larger town, Dollar store, thrift store super market then we head for home using a different route that takes us to another small village with home cut fry's with the very best burgers this side of the Rockies.

After having lunch at the park overlooking the lake we head up to the landfill, I find a 2.5 horse power Clinton Panther engine then see Pat chatting up a fellow who just arrived to dispose of some metal goods and branches for the compost.

As you've probably already learned from another thread, I'm building a still to recover essential oils, I've been on the look out for some sort of a shredder to compact the materiel so that I can make the best advantage of the space inside the still.

The compost guy is telling Pat that he was going to toss this Yard Works sredder as it was quicker to bring the stuff to the dump for disposal. Said the shredder was barely used, after testing it at home I can believe that to be true.

After cutting the safety crap away, enlarging the hole this shredder is perfect for my needs.

20190823-180416.jpg

20190823-180427.jpg

clinton.jpg

Edited by bcgold

The Tuul Crib

One man's junk is truly another man's treasure  or should I say lucky find. Lotta nice stuff  you have there !!

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

One man's junk is truly another man's treasure  or should I say lucky find. Lotta nice stuff  you have there !!

oopps!! 

Edited by The Tool Crib

bc.gold

Killed this thing twice and not going to try to see if it has nine lives.

First time it died the plastic cover over the motor fell off pulling some of the leads free from the terminal block, screws for the cover laying on the ground. Easy fix back to chipping a few more limbs.

On the second limb, motor is running but not shredding. The blade came off the motor, the good news is if your shredder lives long enough you can turn the cutting blades for a fresh edge.

20190823-180416.jpg

20190825-182515.jpg

bc.gold

The Chinese embroidery is one of Pat's finds, she collects all the vintage drawer handles and hinges, tol me today that she has five bucket full and starting on her sixth.

The chairs belong to Pat.

The odd looking egg shaped tank has a snifter attached, snifters were used on water tanks before the bladders were invented. In truth the snifter gave far less trouble.

No. I'll not be using the air tank, just cut out the threaded bungs out then machine the welds off to reuse on my boiler project.

20190914-145659.jpg

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

Edited by bcgold