jimkemp

Working on the next generation of mufflers

lynnmor
10 hours ago, jimkemp said:

The tubing will accept the radius , its just the tooling ( die ) has to hold the shape , they are made in the factory with a rotory bender , where the die rotates and pulls the tubing into the die , the die is deep enough so the tube is more than 1/2 way in , in other words if you want to bend a piece of tube 1" od the die has to be at least 5/8" deep so the wall of the tube cant flex outward , todays benders the die are 1/2 the depth of the tube , 1/2" deep for 1" tube , it can be done , its just not cheap to do for someone like me with a small welding shop its way above what I could ever afford to buy

I understand the basics although I have little experience with working tubing.  Metals will act differently when bent, the radius on the inside of a bend will be under compression, and the outside will be stretched.  Whether or not wrinkling or tearing takes place will depend on the properties of the metal.  Obviously Nelson was able to produce these bends, but that was with mild steel.  I'll do some more research and if I can come up with something I'll let you know.

AHS
On 10/6/2018 at 8:44 PM, jimkemp said:

I finished the next generation of wheel horse mufflers tonight , this is the prototype , now on to the testing stage and see how they sound1659650929_newmuffler.jpg.235f075162c7acd2b2de88cdb4c66c5d.jpg

I’m definitely interested! I’ve got a 414-8 (just like the one above!) that I just got and the muffler is beyond repair! What is your turnaround time? Do they need to be painted? @jimkemp

jimkemp
20 hours ago, AHS said:

I’m definitely interested! I’ve got a 414-8 (just like the one above!) that I just got and the muffler is beyond repair! What is your turnaround time? Do they need to be painted? @jimkemp

I can have one built for you and ready to ship on Monday if you would like , no paint needed , they come with a high temp coating , @AHS

Edited by jimkemp

rjg854

@jimkemp how did you make out with the next generation of  the stack you were experimenting with? 

jimkemp
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

@jimkemp how did you make out with the next generation of  the stack you were experimenting with? 

Still working on a better way to put the fiberglass packing in them , my test muffler after time started to push the packing out , but I am always doing R&D on these mufflers trying to make them better 

• Excellent 1

AHS
On 2/7/2020 at 3:23 PM, jimkemp said:

I can have one built for you and ready to ship on Monday if you would like , no paint needed , they come with a high temp coating , @AHS

What do you charge for for a 414 muffler? @jimkemp

jimkemp
12 minutes ago, AHS said:

What do you charge for for a 414 muffler? @jimkemp

If the muffler looks like this one its $85 shipped to you , sorry I don't know what a 414 muffler looks like , @AHS1009181945.jpg.ec2808110fce9f58bb299a5ee3c1ae03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AHS
10 hours ago, jimkemp said:

If the muffler looks like this one its $85 shipped to you , sorry I don't know what a 414 muffler looks like , @AHS1009181945.jpg.ec2808110fce9f58bb299a5ee3c1ae03.jpg

Exactly like that! Just let me get the muffler off and get some pictures to you.

bc.gold
On 2/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, jimkemp said:

Still working on a better way to put the fiberglass packing in them , my test muffler after time started to push the packing out , but I am always doing R&D on these mufflers trying to make them better 

Ceramic wool may add a bit of cost to your muffler, but it will also add years of usable life. When it comes to refractory's ceramic is the holy grail.

Mufflers are used to reduce the noise that goes through the exhaust. They do this by allowing the gases to expand slowly. Exhaust pipe muffler temperature is usually between300 to 500 degrees, but they are also known to handle higher temperatures of up 648.889°C.

cerwool.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

AHS

@jimkemp I finally got the the muffler off! It looks as though the mufflers 11 1/8 long (from crimped end to crimped end) I don’t know if you need it from inlet to end? It looks like the one you have made that you have posted pictures of. 

06EAEB03-6EDB-48E9-BCD8-72A30B8D0232.jpeg

3C6A91C4-0619-4B8A-BA7E-547EF0F7216B.jpeg

380A551E-60E8-493C-9CA8-E04D86480D45.jpeg

AHS

Ok, the stanchion that bolts on from the end of the muffler 3 7/8 to the beginning and 5 1/8 to the end. I would like to order one from you. Let me know if this helps!😁

jimkemp
2 hours ago, AHS said:

Ok, the stanchion that bolts on from the end of the muffler 3 7/8 to the beginning and 5 1/8 to the end. I would like to order one from you. Let me know if this helps!😁

Looks like the same muffler I build , I will send you a message about payment

• Like 1

bc.gold

It takes plenty of heat to melt gold in a crucible, a lot of hobby refiners use ceramic wool with no other refractory to make a small furnace. Ceramic wool is indestructible.

Curious if you've tried it in your new mufflers.

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
On 2/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, jimkemp said:

Did you try ceramic wool.

jimkemp
23 hours ago, bcgold said:

Did you try ceramic wool.

No I have never tried that , that is something I should look into

bc.gold
21 minutes ago, jimkemp said:

No I have never tried that , that is something I should look into

You wont regret using ceramic wool. the heat shield tiles used on the shuttle are made from ceramic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_thermal_protection_system

The Space Shuttle thermal protection system (TPS) is the barrier that protected the Space Shuttle Orbiter during the searing 1,650 °C (3,000 °F) heat of atmospheric reentry. A secondary goal was to protect from the heat and cold of space while in orbit.