kudzu3

Brake adjustment

kudzu3

Small problem with '69 charger. It is hydro and as far as I can tell, all original, with engine upgrade to kohler 12 HP. The problem is when the foot brake is applied, it brings the trans to neutral and stops the tractor as it should, but the foot brake will not keep the tractor from rolling on a grade. Is it possible to adjust the brake? Thanks. 

pfrederi

There is no brake on an older hydro the hydro stops the tractor.   if it doesn't creep siting on level ground then you are adjusted correctly.  It will not hold it on a hill, that is what the parking brake is for (pulling the handle all the way up).  Do not do that when you are moving.

With the tow valve in the tow position and the handle pulled all the way up can you roll the tractor???

• Like 3

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Do not do that when you are moving.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

what the parking brake is for (pulling the handle all the way up).  Do not do that when you are moving.

Unfortunately the majority of Sundstrands have not been given proper care at some point over past half decade and the parking break will not work. I have a short piece of 4 X 4 on a rope as a parking brake on my GT-14.

• Like 2

kudzu3

Thanks all. Good info! I thought the foot brake should hold it. The parking brake doesn't hold well either, but looks like I just may have to live with that. Maybe I will move from the hills of North GA to some place flat, and then won't need a parking brake.  :D 

• Like 1

kudzu3
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

There is no brake on an older hydro the hydro stops the tractor.   if it doesn't creep siting on level ground then you are adjusted correctly.  It will not hold it on a hill, that is what the parking brake is for (pulling the handle all the way up).  Do not do that when you are moving.

With the tow valve in the tow position and the handle pulled all the way up can you roll the tractor???

It does creep some, can that be adjusted? 

kudzu3
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Not sure, I'll check tomorrow. THANKS!

pfrederi

If it creeps on the level you need to do a neutral adjustment as outlined in the operators manual for you tractor.

If your parking brake doesn't work (you can push it valve in tow and handle pulled up) then your parking pawl has been ground down by misuse (trying to set it while moving).  This releases metal shavings into the system and anathema for hydros. As a minimum make sure you change the filter and fluid.  Repair means opening her up ..which is a good thing as it allows yo to clean the suction screen which hopefully caught many of the metal bits.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/332-tractor-1969-charger-10-da-om-ipl-wiring-snpdf/

adj.JPG

adj1.JPG

• Thanks 2

kudzu3
11 hours ago, kudzu3 said:

11 hours ago, kudzu3 said:

Yes, it will roll, with clicking sound.

pfrederi

Then your parking pawl probably looks like this.  It should be straight across.  The metal ground away is what causes problems as it circulates.

IMG_3306.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

kudzu3

I changed the fluid and filter a couple of weeks ago, draining it through a kitchen strainer. There was no sign of anything in the fluid, it was very clean. Am I correct in assuming that the metal particles remain inside the trans? Is there an internal filter? Is there instructions or video instructing how to do the cleaning out and pawl replacement? Your good info is very appreciated. 

953 nut
1 hour ago, kudzu3 said:

changed the fluid and filter a couple of weeks ago

Did you jack up the front of thr tractor while draining? The hump in the case will trap the fluid in the front (where the parking brake lives).

kudzu3
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Did you jack up the front of thr tractor while draining? The hump in the case will trap the fluid in the front (where the parking brake lives).

No, I did not. Didn't know that. I will change fluid again, and raise the front as you said.. Can the trans be flushed with something after draining? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do it right. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

You do not flush hydros.  Just run it around and get her warmed up.  then lift the nose up and drain the fluid.  Change filter and refill...

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

kudzu3

OK, thanks.

• Like 1