Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Front End Loader/Weight Box Question

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

today I installed my Kwik Way loader onto my B80 8 Speed that I have nick-named "The Construction Horse", it has 24x9x12 AT489 ATV tires on the back and 4 Ply 18x8.50x8 Sno Hog tires on the front. Since I have had it I added a sleeve hitch, a standard drawbar hitch and a home made 1 7/8" drawbar to move stuff around. I really liked the idea of having the loader on it and being able to drag my york rake or back blade at the same time. My question is in regards to the weight box. I can't install it and still have access to the other hitches---does the weight box offer weight only for traction or does it counter balance the loader and make the steering a bit easier? The steering on this tractor is being gone thru---new wheel bearings, re-shiming the steering fan block, new tierods and whatever else it needs. But if that isn't going to make the steering acceptable without the weight box I would like to know now. I will take the loader off and put it on another tractor with the weight box. The weight box also reduces my ground clearance to miserable levels and when I head off into the woods I hit/drag it over everything, thats another reason why I wanted to leave it off.

Tony

Nick

The weight box might help steering some but the main reason is holding the rear end down. You will have very little weight on the back for traction without rear weights of some kind. Wheel weights and fluid filled tires cold help but I still think it might be a little light.

This is the big reason why I like a dedicated loader tractor. With the loader mounted the tractor just is not something you want to use for much other work. Just my opinion anyway. :whistle:

Edit: Wonder if someone will ask why a dedicated loader tractor had a 3pt hitch added. Load Rangers are exempt. :thumbs:

Docwheelhorse

Hi Nick,

I have about 200 lbs on each wheel (1 weight on the inside, 3 on the outside), I'll put the frontend back together and see how it goes. If it still is miserable the loader will get moved......

Tony

Nick

Hi Tony,

With that kind of weight on the wheels it might work out ok. Get her together and give it a try, you'll know pretty quick if you like it or not. Also if you add a weight bar, maybe removable bar, then rear weight could be added when lifting heavier loads in the bucket.

Have to add some pics when it gets the first test run. :thumbs:

Nick

Rideawaysenior

The weight box also makes the front axle work as a fulcrum as this would be the first point of pivot while working with a load. Even though you may have the 400 lbs mounted in the wheels, having the same amount of weight behind the machine makes it more stable. The Ford 120 I had with the FEL was useless without the rear weight box. I had filled tires, and double wheel weights mounted on each wheel as well as 100lb lead bricks mounted under the floorboards. Once I took off the wheel weights and put on the rear weight box, I found all the problems with the light rear ended. Although the weight box is a major PITA especially when you want to use your sleeve hitch, it is really the best way to go.

Docwheelhorse

Hello all and thanks for the replies,

I may of thought of a way to have my cake and eat it too!!! If I mount my backblade on the clevis/sleeve hitch and then hang a few suitcase weights on it I should accomplish the same thing a weight box would. Then I could switch to the york rake when I wanted too or take the suitcase weights off and use the back blade----I don't thing my arm could lift the backblade with 200 lbs of suitcase weights with the manual lift :thumbs:

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Tony