bc.gold

North of 49th New Guy

bc.gold

Born and raised in a junkyard and have the scars to prove it. I have been diagnosed with hardware disease, fortunately its not fatal to those that have it even though many wives have tried to find a cure.

I enjoy making things from junk that are useful.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

JAinVA

I normally don't welcome folks here as I feel that is a function of the more senior members but welcome.You have found the most informative site on the internet for WH tractors.

Post any question and you will get help!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

Pretty hard to find Wheel Horse JUNK, but you can always make them better. :P                       :text-welcomeconfetti:

:USA:    Gary

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

@bcgold

Best forum I’ve ever been a part of! Wheel Horse tractors, old tools and implements, you name it! This place has the best cross section of knowledge and active folks I’ve ever been a part of! 

Glad you’re here! :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Welcome!! Here's a junkyard salute for ya wheel horse style. Machine built strictly from parts that others considered junk and from junk piles and junk yards. And yes even the radio the previous person said was junk. But now all parts are cleaned up and put back to life as a custom 702 with many donor parts and pieces.

20180914_152052.jpg

20180914_152102.jpg

20180914_152123.jpg

20180914_152157.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

rjg854

:WRS: a great place for information and ideas

• Thanks 1

KC9KAS

@bcgold :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Thanks 1

Sparky

:WRS:

• Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, bcgold said:

I have been diagnosed with hardware disease, fortunately its not fatal to those that have it even though many wives have tried to find a cure.

You should fit in just fine around here.              :ychain:           What model :wh: do you have an interest in?               :wwp:           

731304232_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.88ff09996ad7a61ede76964979553d39.jpg

• Excellent 1

rmaynard

North of the 49th is a huge place. Where exactly are you located, and what model Wheel Horses have you managed to find?

• Thanks 1

JC 1965

:text-welcomeconfetti: to  :rs:

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
7 hours ago, rmaynard said:

North of the 49th is a huge place. Where exactly are you located, and what model Wheel Horses have you managed to find?

West Coast raised on the mainland later moving to the interior now in Manitoba.

I've never come across any of the Wheel Horse tractors in my travels but if I ever do find one that is available will be sure to add one to my meager collection.

The closest thing I have are a pair of commercial Toro's that I purchased from the local golf course, both are reel mowers one has a three cylinder perkins and the larger mower has a Mitsubishi.

I had purchased a Kubota Gray market but sold that soon after learning about powdered metallurgy, the brass crown gear in the snow blower is made from compressed brass powder - made to fail. And the gear is formed onto the shaft in such a way it becomes an integral part you can not just replace the gear you have to buy the shaft and gear as an assembly - big bucks.

I replaced the Kubota with a Simplicity 9020 that came with a snow thrower, the gear drive on the thrower uses bevel gears made of good quality steel. When I opened up the gear case to clean out the old grease with fresh corn head grease not one speck of metal to be found.

We have a very long and steep driveway that gets plenty of snow cover, I could pay the RM to remove the snow but prefer to keep my independence. Besides the neighbors think that I'm nuts, were on 2.5 acres and blow in walking trails for the missus to walk our Jack Russel.

Then a forum member from another site gave me the heads up on an Allis 720 with a front end loader and a bad hydro. I didn't really need a second tractor but the price was such that I could not pass on it. 

My latest acquisition a Kohler 6.5 kw generator powered with an ST2 Lister, had it not been snowing today would have gone out to pick up a 92 GMC that a lady friend has donated me for a wood gas project.

On my to do list is to build a still for distilling essential also known as volatile oils from our local Black Spruce the oil is to be used in a flotation cell to recover precious metals. Much like diamond that cling to grease the noble metal do not oxidize which allows the oil to form a coating on the surface which bring the fine particles to the surface of a liquid where they're then skimmed off.

I also do a bit of metal casting, my first furnace was home made using a commercial castable refractory fired with a roofers kettle propane torch. The torch uses liquid propane and has a coil at the head to vaporise the liquid propane.

Mosty cast things from aluminum and yes I was very selective in my choice of feedstock, I also did a few castings with brass. I no longer have that furnace and have replaced it with a 15 kva induction furnace.

First motorcycle a Villiers age 8, first car 1947 Hudson age 12 when I left home at age 16 there were over 30 cars and trucks on the property. At age 70 there is currently 5 trucks on our property, weather permitting there will be 6 with the GMC.

We ran a small scrap yard in Hope BC before moving to Manitoba, for yard equipment had an old Michigan loader, crane truck and a GSW excavator with an air cooled 6 cylinder Deutz. We had the car crusher in once a year, the non ferrous kept us alive. 

Living in rural Manitoba is like moving the clock back 50 years, since both Pat and myself had already been in that time zone we adapted quickly to our new environment. We often pack a lunch and make a day of it visiting 5 or 6 landfills in search of treasures.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

WHX??

Sounds interesting

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

Me and the old Scotsman went out and towed the 92 GMC home this afternoon, this truck will be converted to run on wood gas. I've been tossing the idea of making a smaller gasification unit for one of my garden tractors.

If anyone has a propane carburetor for an Onan, I'm looking for one. I think the propane carb would make for an ideal air/gas mixer for wood gas conversion..

As for a mixer on the GMC, I'll see what the scrap yards have to offer for Impco carbs used for propane or LNG. I wont need the vaporiser as the producer gas is ready to burn as is.

This truck ran when parked several years ago but now the fuel pump refuses to deliver, probably the mice have eaten some of the Soy based plastics from the wiring leading to the pump. I did clean out the fuel filter still no fuel, poured some gas down the intake and she fired right up.

Even though I plan on running the truck on wood gas there is one occasion where I'll need to run on gasoline, Next summer I plan on going to Vancouver Island and I can just see the deck hands going berserk coming onto the Ferry with smoke coming out of the gas producer.

We have some snow.

truck.png

bc.gold

Todays treasure find, another RV trailer at the landfill and someone had already removed the rubbish for me. This trailer has a torsion axle instead of springs.

trailer.png

• Like 1

Stormin

:WRS: From :UK: 

Interesting read your introduction. Maybe you should put it in Non Tractor Related Discussion, then more can see it.

Edited by Stormin
  • Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to  :rs:

• Thanks 1