mhlmeader

Hit and Miss garden tractor Build

mhlmeader
21 minutes ago, jabelman said:

how nose heavy is that going to be, I think 1964 was the first year for footbrake?  previous ones had independent levers

Well, i dont know the exact weight of the stover...if i had to guess i would say in the range of 150lbs.....she's top heavey for sure.  Infact, after i got it up there and bolted down, i was kinda nervous about it.  My plan is to carry on with where its mounted now, work on getting it pulley and belted up.  See if she even moves.  If it moves to my liking, when i start to take it back apart to paint, i have an idea to cut down that i beam to lower it down a little, approx 3 ".  Still keep the same footprint of where it sits, but just lower it abit.  OR, i might get it cut down before actyyally trying to belt it up, just depends on the timeframe of what gets done.   I dont want to move that engine on or off any more than i have too....it was all i could do to set it in place . Lol

Not sure about the foot break...not familiar with the sears suburbans much at all, other than i thought it looked cool...and seemed like a good fit for a hit and miss on it..:)

Edited by mhlmeader
Mispelled
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

@mhlmeader

You might try 50/50 Acetone and Trans fluid to loosen it. I’ve found this mixture in a spray bottle far better than over the counter penetrating oils. Patience is a key with it though. 

AN oxy/acytlyene rosebud would put enough heat with the gear puller. That’s just not a tool most have though. Could be worth taking the Stover to a shop with those capabilities just for that. 

• Like 1

WHNJ701

yeah these old david bradley s are cool looking here is mine.  the drive and clutch is similar to yours.

20180812_130712.jpg

• Excellent 3

mhlmeader
3 minutes ago, jabelman said:

yeah these old david bradley s are cool looking here is mine.  the drive and clutch is similar to yours.

20180812_130712.jpg

Yeah, ive seen that picture before while searching the webs, thought it looked pretty sweet.  Infact, if im succesful with this tractor, i was debating about what color too paint.  Stay with original color scheme or something different...the gold lookes very appealing!!!

• Excellent 1

mhlmeader

Ok, did a lil thinking last night, and I made an Executive decision! Lol

I am NOT going to try and get that gibkey out and pull the flywheel.  I know it can be done, and I know I could do it,BUT I think it could possibly open up a whole nother can of worms of potential problems.  For what I was trying to gain by removing it, i dont feel is worth the potential risk that might be involved.  I would be really disgusted with myself if i really broke something on that engine trying to bust it apart, with the sole intention of just trying to get two 10$ pulleys lined up "just a little bit better".  If something needed fixed on the engine, and i had to pull a flywheel...well, thats different,  but Im going to take the conservative approach......

Anywho....was just sharing my thought process.....lol

Now on to hybrid plan A+C.....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

Now on to hybrid plan A+C.....

You're only 3 letters in...

If  I labeled all my attempts when building I'd run out letters waayy before I finish most of the projects.

But that's half the fun of it !!

• Haha 3

mhlmeader

Did a little searching and reading on the internets.....sometimes when Im looking for answers, its been my experience that sometimes you have to put in a certain phrase or combination of words to get you pointed in the right direction.  And more often then not, somewhere in the world someone else has had the same question, posted on a forum, and got guidance and answers.....thats how i got to this next step......

Turns out my belt pulley has some holes in the back of it, i didnt give it much thought .....until i read somewhere how to use them.  

20181007_110008.jpg

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, mhlmeader said:

Did a little searching and reading on the internets.....sometimes when Im looking for answers, its been my experience that sometimes you have to put in a certain phrase or combination of words to get you pointed in the right direction.  And more often then not, somewhere in the world someone else has had the same question, posted on a forum, and got guidance and answers.....thats how i got to this next step......

Turns out my belt pulley has some holes in the back of it, i didnt give it much thought .....until i read somewhere how to use them.  

20181007_110008.jpg

Those are for stickin ya fingers in to pull it off.

Probably.

Maybe not though.

• Haha 1

mhlmeader
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Those are for stickin ya fingers in to pull it off.

Probably.

Maybe not though.

Hmmmmm, i think your onto something there, but i would have to google it to confirm

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

Hmmmmm, i think your onto something there, but i would have to google it to confirm

Sometimes my ideas are not the best

• Like 1

mhlmeader

Bolt a v belt pulley to the belt pulley....slide it on, and be done........ 

This is one of those weld a pulley deals....i dont need the center part, but got it anyway to help line up my holes i drilled....

The 1/2 " bolts are way overkill, but were the size already in the belt pulley....so i figured using that size bolt would help in getting it centered up a hillbilly possible.  There is a little bit of outta center wobble in it, when i ran the engine....but not terrible, certainly workable.....i think......i hope

End result was i had approx a 2" difference in alignment between the pulleys i have to belt up.....planning on getting about a 4" pulley, and bolting it up to the existing, using some spacers as necessary....jesus take the wheel, and the creek dont rise....i think that might work....i hope that might work.

20181007_173421.jpg

20181007_173412.jpg

20181007_175229.jpg

20181007_175239.jpg

20181007_185914.jpg

20181007_181750.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
23 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

top heavey for sure.

I was thinking that myself, probably not a problem on the ground but loading or unloading if a problem occurred it would be a big problem.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Nice idea, im in.

Just a small isue, i think i saw:

In you last video, it seems to me, that the engine rotating is counterclockwise.

as far as i know, the kohler engines run in clockwise rotation.

Maybe there is an idea, to rotate the engine itself at 180 deg. The right sided shaft looks much smaller (flat).

also the rotation runs then right.

no doubt about it will be working, with reversal shifting, if it is an mechanic gear as far as i see.

Additionally you have it easier by adapting a pulley.

but i am not sure, if i see it right in the video.

Regards

Stefan

• Like 1

mhlmeader
4 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Nice idea, im in.

Just a small isue, i think i saw:

In you last video, it seems to me, that the engine rotating is counterclockwise.

as far as i know, the kohler engines run in clockwise rotation.

Maybe there is an idea, to rotate the engine itself at 180 deg. The right sided shaft looks much smaller (flat).

also the rotation runs then right.

no doubt about it will be working, with reversal shifting, if it is an mechanic gear as far as i see.

Additionally you have it easier by adapting a pulley.

but i am not sure, if i see it right in the video.

Regards

Stefan

Thanks Stefan.

Yes, the kohlers turn clockwise, fortunately so does the Stover...it can be misleading sometimes, cause after they "hit" and start to slow down, they can appear to be spinning the opposite direction.  

And adapting a pulley has turned out to be waaaaay easier.  :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Digger 66

This is too cool .

How'd I miss this thread :blink:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Digger 66 said:

This is too cool .

I know right??

Awesome build Mr monkey muffins

• Haha 1

mhlmeader
2 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

This is too cool .

How'd I miss this thread :blink:

Well your just in time for the grand finale:)

• Thanks 1

mhlmeader

Ok....sooooo i "engineered"  my clutch pulley.....

Got a 5" pulley from my local small engine shop, i wanted a 4 ".. but all he had was 5....looked good and stout to drill some holes in, so i went with it.  

Put my bolts in existing pulley, and was trying to figure out how to transfer bolt hole alignment from one to the other......it aint rocket science, and im suuuuure there had to be an easier way but i did it this way.....

First got cheapo bead buster from corner, just happens to be approx same size bore of the pulleys.......

Set the pulley i needed to drill holes in on top, and rotated it around the heads of the bolts, scratching a circle into the pulley.......

20181008_152711.jpg

20181008_144531.jpg

20181008_145324.jpg

• Like 3

mhlmeader

After i got the circle scribed in, i picked one spot to drill, basically in the center of the little band .   I did not drill dead nuts between two existing holes...just incase my alignment was waaaay off and i had to DO OVER...LOL, i wanted to leave a second chance location...  sorry forgot to take a pictire of that....

After i drilled one hole, my intention was to install one bolt, let the pulley sit on the other two, reach underneath with a sharpie marker and trace the other two bolts....figured that was fool proof.....but it wasnt....way too hard to acurately trace the bolt heads....looked like crayola crayon .......tooooooo slllooopppppy......

Soooooo, i grabbed the other bits and pieces of the bead buster and put it together like so......

20181008_151419.jpg

20181008_151409.jpg

• Like 1

mhlmeader

While taking into consideration of windage and dew point.....i painted the one side of the pulley......

X marks the spot, or something like that......wish i had thought of it in the first place

20181008_151616.jpg

20181008_151732.jpg

mhlmeader

Dry fit....was a litttle tight, so i did wobble out my holes just a tad bit for a liithe more play....

20181008_153246.jpg

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I wish I could find one of those! I bought my own garden tractor when I was ten and thats just what it was. I even had a snow plow for it. The starter didn't work so I had to pull start it with a rope and the reverse sure didn't work for me either! I tried adjusting it the best I could but I really didn't know what I was doing. I bought it from a friend of my Dads and I think he was pissed it give me a bunch of trouble. Dad really didn't help me much with it though and one time when quit on me, Dad pulled me on it back across town and it scared the crap out of me. I think he must have been going 30, but probably wasn't that fast! I was born in 66 and bought it around 76 so it would have been 15 years old or so by then. 

Randy

• Like 2

mhlmeader

Final widget.....i looked high and low for a ridgid conduit coupling or small scrap piece of rigig conduit, black pipe to use as a spacer....it had to be aprox 2 1/2 outside diameter to go past the lip of the original pulley, no supply houses or lowes had that size instock.....ended up using rod couplings to slip over the bolts....lined up the pulleys good enough...

20181008_153820.jpg

• Like 1

mhlmeader

Belted up.....

20181008_172213.jpg

20181008_172141.jpg

• Excellent 4