ol~horses

key sw delima

ol~horses

my wheel horse B80 blew the starter solenoid and the starter key sw . the key switch also showed signs of age.

I ordered replacements and just reinstalled (or tried to) last nite.

The old key sw. is a 103990....the new one is a INDAK with the same number.

I  used a meter to check the two switches after I could not get the new one to keep the motor running...it starts when I turn the key but dies when I let go of the key, every time.

The old switch still works, but I don"t trust it after fire came out the weep hole in the bottom of the switch body!

I tested each switch seperately. with a vom  1 probe was clipped to the center stud on the sw while i checked continuity  between the center stud and each individual stud.

On the old switch i have 2 pins that read perfect on both start and run, and one that reads to a run pin...the last pin is empty

On the new switch I read perfect to 3 pins the other one  is empty.

When I try to start the unit with the new key switch it cranks over and sounds like it is running BUT  when I let go of the key the engine goes dead while the key is in the run position.

I have tested both switches/circuits several times with the exact results, and am confused, becuase the tractor did run ok  before...

suggestions?

thanks

ol~horses

pfrederi

The terminals are marked this would be easier if you indicated which ones you were testing.  B I S R and A.  In run you should have continuity between B and A,I,R,.

Put the switch in run position and see if you have voltage to the + terminal on the coil.

• Like 1

953 nut

As you put the plug onto the ignition switch be sure the terminals are sliding all the way onto the ignition switch terminals. This diagram shows the wiring for a battery ignition system using the 103 990 switch.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

• Like 1

ol~horses

thanks...guess i was jumping the gun by hooking a meter probe to common and hooking the other  probe to a pin while switching between start and run while observing continuity?

I did however observe that the old(origional) switch and the replacement switches on and off wise, were Not even close, even tho their part # indicates that they should be the same ....gotta pick up some propane first...cold in the garage

~olhorses

• Like 1

ol~horses

should have asked sooner....anyone have/know the right part number for a B80 ignition switch...it is the 5wire one....for some reason I seem to keep finding NOT the right number.....yep, they may look similar BUT they don't work similar, ie same

ol~horses

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ol~horses said:

should have asked sooner....anyone have/know the right part number for a B80 ignition switch...it is the 5wire one....for some reason I seem to keep finding NOT the right number.....yep, they may look similar BUT they don't work similar, ie same

ol~horses

Presuming the electrical system has not been modified and is a battery ignition system you will need the 103 990 as shown in the diagram I shared with you.

ol~horses

103990.....many thanks!