Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

Can a Wheel Horse power a Log splitter?

hounddoghundzsa

:thumbs:

I have been wanting to get a log splitter from sometime now. The trouble is they are very pricey! I was wondering if the D series or any Wheel Horse (With Hydraulics) would power a log splitter or if anyone knew how many GPM they produce. If anyone has already made one and has pictures that would be awsome.

Thanks!

Teddy da Bear

Interesting concept and :thumbs:

I have been wanting a splitter too as I

now do it the old-fashioned way.

I thought I saw a pic at one time showing

a wheel horse powering a splitter....

But with PTO power to a pump

on the stationary splitter....

Hope to see a positive answer on this one!

WHC-125

hounddoghundzsa, :whistle:

And Mike I remeber seeing that as well but I can't seem to find the thread :thumbs:

WHC-125

Yep thats the one :thumbs: Duff

hounddoghundzsa

I'm looking into the one you all suggested. Still curious if the hydraulics on a c-195 or d series tractor are capable of running one of those 3-point splitters like they have at Tractor Supply. I guess they only require 8-11GPM of pressure................... :thumbs:

Nick

The hydraulic pressure from the tractor would not run a log splitter. The best bet for that is a 2 stage splitter pump. I think you can find pumps for around $120-$150 and a valve could run anywhere from $60 to $300.

04fxdwgi

:thumbs:

I have been wanting to get a log splitter from sometime now. The trouble is they are very pricey! I was wondering if the D series or any Wheel Horse (With Hydraulics) would power a log splitter or if anyone knew how many GPM they produce. If anyone has already made one and has pictures that would be awsome.

Thanks!

I, personally, would have the PTO operate a seperate pump. This way the hydraulic systems are isolated from one another and if the log splitter hydraulics fail (which they do fairly often), the tractor could escape unscathed. Plus a seperate pump would be tailored to provide the pressure / flow rate required for the splitter and the controls would be so much more convenient to watch what you are doing on the log instead of from the driver's seat.

hounddoghundzsa

I see what your saying. I looked at the 16GPM pumps at tractor supply. Can these be belt driven - that is, can you just stick a pulley on the pump shaft to drive it? I'm considering just building one like the post earlier mentioned. The only thing I would do different is make some sort of mounting plate that attaches to the front of the tractor for the pump and tank. Then just get longer hoses to run to the cylinder. This way it could be used verticle or horizonal......And I would need those fancy belt tensioners either LOL!!! :thumbs:

Nick

With a 2 stage splitter pump you dont need to worry so much about the GPM. This pump only requires a minimum of 5hp and says it has bearing for belt or direct couple. Link to Glens surplus pump-

Mounting the pump and reservoir on the front hitch should work. Also make for fast hookup.

73-18 automatic

:thumbs: Speeking of this I saw where someone was talking about using an automotive power steering pump which I have two of and I have been doing some research and think that this would work psi is around 1000-1500 and it would run off of the belt from the PTO hope this helps thanks Doug

hounddoghundzsa

Thanks for all your help guys! Have you bought anything from the guy you sent the link to? Thats a great price for that pump! What do you think, Nick would a power steering pump work??

Allis nut

Hi guys just weighing in here but i use a power steering pump for a hyd blade and i know a farmer that uses the one on his truck for a mounted round bale spike and he drives the truck every day.

Operator

I would go with the two-stage pump for splitter, then you will have the power at the right time. I don't think you'd be very happy with the power steering pump. I've used them for pick up snowplows and such but I don't think it would be the best for splitter work.

Nick do you think it would be possible to keep belt tight enough for the splitter pump? Specially in some narly oak?

Randy

Nick

I am with with Randy on the power steering pump. They can lift a good load, work nice on snow plows, but splitting wood might be a bit much to ask. The pump volume might be a little low for a large cylinder also. Most splitters have at least around 4" I assume.

Randy, I'm guessing with the right belt and tightener setup the belt would hold. Ive never had the loader pumps belt slip. :omg:

pbradley68

There is one for sale on Ebay right now for $2599 in Ravena NY but that seems a bit steep in price. Ebay Item number: 270349381601

bitten

I thought( no laughing ) that wheel horse had a splitter at one time. I think it was the kind that mounts to the wheel and looks like a cone. Ya the ones that are real dangerous. I will have to look when I get home.

P.J.