JessMorgan

Grinding in rearend/transmission

JessMorgan

Hi, everybody, i am a newbie here, who could use some advice. I recently bought my first wheelhorse from and auction with my grandfather. Its a 1979 b111 six speed,  in fairly decent shape. My dad and i have been working on in together and got it running, but i think we have a problem. I rode it only a few feet because there is something grinding in the rearend or transmission. Even when you try to push it in neutral it will roll for like a second then it stops and the wheels wont move like its in gear. The gear shifter seems messed up also. If anybody has an idea of what could be wrong with it  or how to go about fixing it, let me know. Any feedback or comments will be greatly appreiated. 

953 nut

:WRS:

Chances are your shift lever is in two gears at once. This thread should solve your problem. Once you remove the dog-point screw and shifter you can move the shift forks into the neutral position.

Mike'sHorseBarn

Is your transmission a six speed or a 3 speed? Also, it's nice to see someone else from central pa, welcome to the forum! 

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square.

Your 1979 B-111 was made with two different transmissions.  The model #92-11BF01 and the #92-11BP01.  The model with the "F" came with a 6 speed Foote 4000-5 Transmission.  The model with the "P" came with a 4 speed Peerless 669 Transmission.  Both horses came with an 11 hsp Briggs engine with a vertical shaft.  We do have schematics of the breakdown of both transmissions in the Manuals Section on the Main Page.  Open and click on Maunals...tractors for the years which include 1979 and type    1979 B-111  in the search box.  A number of threads and manuals will pop up.  What 953 Nut wrote above will not work on either of those transmissions.  Your Wheel Horse, because it is a vertical shaft engine, is really considered a riding lawn mower and not a garden tractor.  With that in mind, it is going to be real hard to find and or fix your Foote transmission.  I went through this with a gentleman in Michigan a few years ago, and we ended up finding a Peerless trans in Missouri to trade out the Foote trans. This is not a very popular Wheel Horse and you are going to have a hard time fixing or changing out that trans.  I believe Foote is no longer making parts for the trans you have...thinking they were out of Ohio.  Peerless is still around, but they may not have spare parts for their 669 trans...if you could find one.  Your best bet is to dig into the manual and figure out what is wrong...put an ad in out Wanted Section and hope someone has one laying around.  We do have a few vendors like.... A - Z Tractors that may have a lead for you.  Keep us informed.  Come back with any questions.  :think:

Here ya go for a Manual....click on the link.

Don't let all the tiny parts of that trans schematic scare you.  check out the tractor manual first and make sure the stuff outside of the trans, like,  drive belt, clutch, linkage, etc... is all OK.  Check the easy stuff first...it may not be the trans.

One other thing...Google "Foote Transmissions"  A lot of stuff came up.  I am not sure it will all help you, but it will point you in a direction to start with.  :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

JessMorgan

Thank you all for the great information. When my dad gets a chance i'll have hime take a look at these with me, and hopefully we can get something firgured out or at least see what the problem is. And it is the six speed model.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Please, let us know what you are finding.  Post some pictures also.  :handgestures-thumbupright: