Justice77

What did I get myself into?

Justice77

Hey there!

Can anyone tell me what I have here? ANy comments about 3 spd transaxle appreciated.

This is my 2nd antique tractor I've come across recently. I'm fairly handy / skilled  and have already started in on putting this back to work.

R8X4a6B.jpg

JU6IZnf.jpg

lJ9a3cJ.jpg

VGQq5bW.jpg

hnaxTRr.jpg

vzXrAtI.jpg

Orig trailer is in working condition. Tractor had 2 bad front wheels and tires. I salvaged 2 wheels with bearings to fit of of a parts buggy and 2 tires off of a seized snowblower. Steering was very seized. I got working ok, but awful notchy... Clutch peddle still way tight so trying to free that up.  Motor was roached but I had a 5hp on the shelf. Had to do some minor trimming to get 5hp to fit. Just got it running although not off choke so have a bit of fiddling to do there. Belt I guessed at is 1" too short so I'll be back on this next weekend.

I love tinkering with these things.

• Like 8

JAinVA

Welcome to the rusty and red addiction.I will be the first to admit I haven't a clue as to the model or year but I can bet it won't be the only one you will end up with.

Chris G

That is a 1960 suburban. Weather it's a 400 or 550, that I can't tell ya with out it having the original motor. 

Achto
8 hours ago, Justice77 said:

ANy comments about 3 spd transaxle appreciated.

:WRS:  Nice Suburban you have. The tranny in your tractor is generally pretty strong. Only weak point is the axel tubes, these can sag if you over load the rear end of the tractor. Adding wide tires on the back can also cause them to sag.  

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:     You have a 1960 Suburban 400 (no battery box or it would be a 550) with a hard to find LT-24 cart.        :bow-blue:      

Justice77

Thanks all! The info and links to manuals are very much appreciated.

Edited by Justice77
word
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Yes 1960 model 400 is what you have there. Looks like somebody through the years put a Tecumseh on it but you did the right thing by a repower. The solid pan seat might suggest an early production 400  but with out seeing the original motor, which would have possibly been a Clinton B1290, we'll never know.  Either way nice little survivor. You might know this already but the fronts were toast due to them being loaded. Looks like the rears may have been as well. If they are you'll want to get that fluid out and re-tube.  

Pullstart

Nice front tires!  Any info on them would be much appreciated!

oliver2-44

You might want to see if you can shim the hood up verses cutting it. Good uncut hoods are getting hard to find 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Justice77
8 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

You might want to see if you can shim the hood up verses cutting it. Good uncut hoods are getting hard to find 

Yes, I would never cut the hood. Remarkable, I don't think there's a single ding in it. The brace in front of engine was already hacked a bit with a cutting torch and I had to zip wheel just a little bit more of it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, Justice77 said:

Yes, I would never cut the hood. Remarkable, I don't think there's a single ding in it. The brace in front of engine was already hacked a bit with a cutting torch and I had to zip wheel just a little bit more of it.

Thank You, We love our Original Suburban Hoods 

• Like 2

Justice77

It's alive! Prev. owner said it's been around 15 years since the last time this was operable, and that his grandparents called it The Little Bastard. At first I had enough belt chatter that it was spinning the trans pulley w/ clutch in so I had to make a temp idler out of a bolt and plastic pipe. I'll put a proper idler on it asap and put a bit heavier return spring for clutch. I absolutely love this trans and how smooth it shifts. 3rd gear is pretty tall so it scoots right along. Will have to re-route / change up exhaust... maybe be able to re-use prev. engine exhaust to route it up front as it's pretty hot on my right leg.

Neighbors and friends were out on their deck and the look and smiles on their faces when I pulled up in this was priceless. 

IFYElbA.jpg

jxN06u6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3