Redline69

Some of my 318 hacks and fixes.

Sparky

I love hearing stories like this! 

Thanks for sharing and the pics 

• Like 1

peter lena

noting your first picture, perfect opportunity to install a, 2, bolt 3/4" flange bearing to that steering shaft ,after doing that I cover the upper end of column with size to size pvc plastic pipe, painted black .next opportunity , tighten that steering wheel to shaft fit, I use s/s shim stock 5 to 8 thou, cut a strip about 3/4 " wide 2 1/2" long and shape it to the top of shaft and diameter. verify your wheel fit , use a taper pin to pick up shaft hole to wheel hole , vise grip shaft, and move wheel to line up spiral  pin hole , never seize pin and install. I also use wooden block between lower steering wheel and seat mount , for solid on/ off of wheel, no impact bounce. while I was there I also shimmed up that sloppy pto lever system, go after any of the movement gaps, with washers or Teflon washers, snug up anything you find, I also use those push in slide pins, easier than cotter pins, most important , LUBRICATE ALL MOVEMENT POINTS , what a concept, smooth easy lever engagement. reading your text was just like going along for the ride, getting after it is always better, pete  

• Like 2

Redline69

Hi Pete, I seen a similar steering shaft fix on YouTube, (not sure if that vid was yours or not), but I don't think I have room for something like a cast flange and bearing. It's a pretty tight space in there. Agree on the lube comment. Seems I'm always in there with the grease gun or oil can, or some spray lube.

Edited by Redline69

Daron1965

I enjoy reading about and seeing others tips and repair tricks.  Thank you

• Like 2

peter lena

redline69, having done this on 3 horses , yes, the bearing will fit, It mounts on the bottom of shelf, right where you added that support, bearings on eBay, just got another pair for 14 $ ,free shipping .   I know its a tight spot, but once you remove the upper dash level, the opportunity will come into view. that is a major control area, I cleaned up and wire wrapped all wiring, no more chafing. steering play and pto play issue .I think its a matter of getting fed up with a problem, I know I had reached the make it go away point, pete

• Like 1

Redline69

Thanks for the follow up Pete. Will look further into this procedure this winter on the unit.

Appreciate the comments Daron & Mike!

ebinmaine
On 9/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, Sparky said:

I love hearing stories like this! 

Thanks for sharing and the pics 

Me too...

20 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

I enjoy reading about and seeing others tips and repair tricks.  Thank you

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Kelsey

That's a man's tractor. I enjoyed reading about the 318-8.

• Like 2

tunahead72
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, Redline69 said:

... Since the original deck linkage and rubbing parts all have wear, it was cutting the grass too short, even on it's highest setting. So I figured one way to get it higher(without having to go through all the linkages and parts) was the create a 6th stop, or hole for the deck height setting. So I took off the deck height adjuster,and figured where the next hole would go. Drilled out the ends of the slot and removed the center with a carbide on my die grinder. Works great! …

Toro 2.JPG

Now THAT'S an interesting idea!  This is a common problem with Wheel Horse decks.  I've seen people suggest larger wheels, but I don't believe I've seen this particular solution before.  Anybody else?  Any problems with this fix?

• Like 2

Redline69

Larger wheel might work too. But all this was, the time involved in drilling out and finishing out the slot..pretty cheap fix if you have some tools.  And it works fine as far as I'm concerned. I've done it on 2 decks now. Thanks for the comment.

• Like 2

Redline69

I also wanted to add, that I first tried the Gumout tune-up treatment on the 318 this summer. First as a fogging treatment right in the carb. Then added some to the gas in the tank. I think it really helped get this old Kohler running tip top again.