bo dawg

What wire choice for rewiring tractors

bo dawg

Ok, now I see what your saying. Looks like a lot of work. Lol! 

Then what do you guy's do when it comes to hooking up to the ignition terminals, in place of the factory plug. Anything special there other than the clip/slide on connector?

• Like 1

Skipper

I put the new terminals on the new wires in the old connector housing of the ignition key. It's just a peace of plastic that holds the connectors, and if it ain't broke, I dont fix it. Is it shot, I just use crimp flex to make the connectors insulated, and hook directly to the switch.

I source all those things from chinamans land. Exactly the same as you get other places, and at a very low price, delivered directly to your door.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32875399483.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.437a2e0ezoGy0D

Sock size depends on how many wires, and how thick they are ;-)

Time consuming? Well it is, and it depends on if you are comfortable with soldering and heat guns and tiny fiddling work too. I use about 2 hours on a complete loom for a GT, first time was considerably more.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

squonk

Here's a pic of upgraded cables on my  C-160. These are about 4 yrs. old now. 

002.JPG.45d56b998120275731aa82e9fab99e5a.JPG

• Like 2

WHX??

Hey Tom @Skipper over here we go by AWG (American Wire Gauge) just curious how you guys size  it over there? 

• Like 1

bo dawg

Can you still get these style connectors?

274C8765-2224-49D9-9806-130312A18E88.jpeg

196E914C-A9B0-4257-BB74-165B3925F248.jpeg

Edited by bo dawg

Skipper
4 hours ago, bo dawg said:

Can you still get these style connectors?

You probably can if you search around for it, but why bother finding one exactly like it? It is not waterproof, and you can substitut it with many other generic connectors.

7 hours ago, WHX20 said:

Hey Tom @Skipper over here we go by AWG (American Wire Gauge) just curious how you guys size  it over there? 

We also use AWG, but also has a square cut surfase measurement of the wire, stated in mm2 (square millimeter). 

And WH nut is right. You can go to charts and see what wire size is the minimum required for a giver voltage x amp. I always go bigger though, to allow for degradation over time and for higher amp usage than intended etc. etc.

A tip, since wires and batteries are getting so d... expensive. I have a connection at the local car scrap yard. So once in a while they have a car that's been ripped totally for parts and the wiring loom sort of exposed. That's a great and easy source for larger size wires at almost 0 cost ( or very cheap at least, if you cut it out your self.)  they also puts aside small size car batteries of almost new date for me on request, and those are a massive upgrade from a garden tractor battery. 

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

bo dawg

The voltage regulator was mounted to inside of tractor (may notice In before pic) which I was wondering about that and why they spiced on to the stator wires and R wire. 

So I started thinking and looking on engine cover to see if it suppose to mount like the newer Onans and sure enough there was a sq opening just for it. Plus it was blowing a lot of air out the opening robbing ventilation to the heads.  So I moved it to there and reran new 12 volt wire and seems to be working good. 

6DCFD8B0-B6F5-4226-BA84-B3E6FF906081.jpeg

• Like 2

bo dawg
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, squonk said:

Here's a pic of upgraded cables on my  C-160. These are about 4 yrs. old now. 

002.JPG.45d56b998120275731aa82e9fab99e5a.JPG

Hey squonk, what is the black inline fuse attached to the neg and pos batt terminals power? That to the ign.? Or something else. I had that same thing on mine with a plug in on other end just hanging down to nothing.

squonk
3 hours ago, bo dawg said:

Hey squonk, what is the black inline fuse attached to the neg and pos batt terminals power? That to the ign.? Or something else. I had that same thing on mine with a plug in on other end just hanging down to nothing.

It's for a battery tender.  Mine has the plug too. 

• Thanks 1

Skipper

Here are the consumption numbers as promised. As you can see, they are of absolutely no concern.

Meter only = 0.051A

Light only (LED)= 0.013A

Meter with light on = 0.065A

Oh, and dont mind the light in the meter being weird. I used my crappy phone camera. And yes, this is the meter I got that was a bit off on the reading, as you will probably notice ;-).

20180926_115217.jpg.5a81e84a607fbe29795c5186e6b2524a.jpg 

20180926_115552.jpg.731ca0419fc4ec5613fbc910ced64b3e.jpg

20180926_115400.jpg.b029c038cca2979062283eb0836e9aec.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

@Skipper, are the 12 Gauge shells there to motivate unruly  :wh: and make them behave?     :ychain:

• Like 2

Skipper

Late night pest control................:text-lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2