clueless

Southern East Coast

clueless

I'm sure most of you guys on the Ga., Sc., and Nc., coast are well aware of Florence heading your way. A cat 3 or 4 Hurricane is nothing to take lightly, trust me, it's time to start plans and preparations. If you live within 30 or 40 miles of the coast you don't want to hang around in a cat 3, definitely not a 4. BE SAFE!

• Like 4

Machineguy

Luckily we’re in Southwestern Va but a high wind and flooding advisory is out for us. We’re supposed to get 9” of rain between Thursday and Friday with a well saturated ground already. Mudslides, power outages along with flooding will be likely. 

• Like 1

JAinVA

Isabel was a cat one but here the gusts were higher.I lost at least 50 big trees.It took me months to clean up the mess.Isaac years later took out another dozen.I am as prepared as I can be.I have a half dozen saws stashed all over with food and fuel.The generator is ready.The time to do this is now not when it hits.At 60' above sea level no flood worries but wind damage could be interesting.

• Like 3

Machineguy

Being right on the Eastern side of the Blue Ridge Mountains, sometimes these tropical storms stall when they get to the mountains. The watershed off the mountains causes lots flooding and mudslides when that happens. Similar scenario happened a while back in White Sulfur Springs, WV causing historic flooding levels and damage. Fingers crossed it moves back out to sea. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

Friend of mine lives in Vermont.I was up there to see him after a hurricane dumped tons of rain in the hills.It washed out bridges and the creek swells eroded miles of banks.This is in an area many miles from the coast.I respect hurricanes but the tornado that went through here made me rethink my survival skills.Bad, bad damages and no warning.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Machineguy
6 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Friend of mine lives in Vermont.I was up there to see him after a hurricane dumped tons of rain in the hills.It washed out bridges and the creek swells eroded miles of banks.This is in an area many mile from the coast.I respect hurricanes but the tornado that went through here made me rethink my survival skills.Bad, bad damages and no warning.

Yes, be safe man! There have been some increasingly fierce tornadoes in Virginia over the last few years. Spooky stuff especially at night. I’m sure our friends in the Midwest can attest to that way better than I ever want to know. Sounds like you’re doing your part to be ready. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

picked up a heavy fiber glass calf hutch , for my generator , looks like a small Quonset hut, cut off the damaged area and have flow thru ventilation , put some heavy chain over it and my generator is dry and happy , pete

• Like 5

oldredrider

Just my luck! Picked this week for a vacation on Hatteras Island (wifes birthday present). They'll probably kick us out Wednesday.  Then run back to Va. just ahead of it to batten down my hatches at home.  :unsure:

• Sad 4

clueless
2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Just my luck! Picked this week for a vacation on Hatteras Island (wifes birthday present). They'll probably kick us out Wednesday.  Then run back to Va. just ahead of it to batten down my hatches at home.  :unsure:

I'm pretty sure their going to kick you out before Wed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JAinVA

I'm glad you said that .I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to tell Paul. At least he wasn't going to Ocracoke.Ferrys there stop running during nor-easters.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Predicting now, coming ashore as a cat 4, and stalling there for up to a week.  

• Sad 2

JAinVA

Oh great rain and just when my mildew crop was wilting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

It doesn't need to be a hurricane.    Here is just some of the damage we suffered during last Friday 6-10"/hour downpour.

• Sad 4

JAinVA

Gheez whole east coast looks like that.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Sad 2

Machineguy

Yeah it does. My uncle lives in Charleston, SC and I’m hoping they evacuate. He rode out Hugo and other smaller storms but he’s in his 80’s now. This hurricane could get rough down there. Looks like the precipitation is going to move directly over Roanoke where I’m located and sit with heavy rain. Much like Pa. there’s flooding about an hour and a half  away in Galax already. 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Sad 1

JAinVA

Hugo was a bad one.I hope at 80 your uncle evacuates but I also know we older folks can be stubborn.Keep at him! Luck,JimAnderson

• Thanks 1

posifour11

Be safe, guys. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

r356c

Bottled drinking water, fuel for the generator, oil for the generator, canned groceries.

Check the chainsaw. Check the generator. Too late to grab a window shaker AC unit if you don't have one.

Capture rain water in wheelbarrows and five gallon buckets or store water in a bathtub to pour in the toilet tank if you are on well water.

A bottle of bleach at a few drops per gallon of collected water is good for non-potable water.

Everything else is optional.

Last year without power for 9 days, I found out I can take a bath in 3 red Dixie cups of collected rain water and 5 paper towels.

Good luck and be safe!

Edit add: Flashlights... I have a collection. I had a Harbor Freight free flashlight in my hand or in my mouth during the nights. Both hands free and focused lighting is a good thing.

Edited by r356c
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

It doesn't need to be a hurricane.    Here is just some of the damage we suffered during last Friday 6-10"/hour downpour.

This kind of reminds me of the flood in Nashville  back in 2010. Downtown was under water as well as the Opryhouse 

• Sad 1

clueless

Okay guys, we have a better idea where this thing is going and how big it may be. If you are told to evacuate just do it, trust me there is not a damn thing you can save, fix or stop in 100+ mph wind and rain. The only thing worth saving is you and your family, please do not take this thing lightly, even if you are miles inshore!  BE SAFE!

• Like 6

Docwheelhorse

Its my favorite part of country... I wish everyone good luck and I hope damage is minimal.

Tony

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in this monsters path.     Please be safe.

• Like 2

19richie66

This thing is going in right where we got property. Both my stepsons and the grandchildren are right there. I wish all of you the best in the affected areas, which is going to be a lot. Be safe and hope all goes well. Prayers for you all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2