Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

702 Rear rims

Old Iron

I'm looking for narrower rear wheels for my 1057. Just so I know what to look for, what models had the narrower rear wheels? Were they all narrow up to a certain date? I see a pair listed as coming off of a 702 and was wondering if they are the narrower style.

past7971

The 702 rims should be the narrow rims used with 6-12 tires. I may be wrong but I think the last year for narrow rims was 1969 but the wider rims started on most models in 1965 that had 8hp or more. Just curious........why the switch to narrow rims on the 1057?

Old Iron

Don't laugh but, the tractor misses fitting through my shed door by about an inch on either side. The front fits but the rear tires won't fit. If I had narrower foot print she'd glide right in. :whistle: Also, I would like to get AGs for the rear, I'll just put them on the narrow rims. I'd keep it in the garage but my 1971 F100 is in there and there's no more room. Oh, and I don't have a deck that's any good, so I don't need to fit that through the door, just the tractor. :thumbs:

past7971

Laugh??? No!!!! Sounds like the PERFECT reason to get/build a bigger shed. And then once you have all that extra room for more toys..................

CasualObserver

We got into a tire/wheel size discussion not to long ago in this thread. What is it?.

Basically with the exception of the 15 inchers (953/1054/1054a) and the Lawn Rangers, everything from 1958-1964 had 6-12 rears. From 1965-1969 (again excluding the Lawn Rangers and the GT-14) 6-7 HP tractors had 6-12s and 8-12 HP tractors had the common 23x8.50-12s.

TT

Seeing how the 1057/1257 models have the extra long axles, I can understand why you have doorway clearance issues, John.

Another option would be to find a pair of 7" wide rear wheels with less offset that would enable you to retain the 8.5" wide tires.

I don't know exactly how much narrower you need to go, but a set of rear wheels like THESE would definitely "skinny it up" quite a bit. :thumbs:

Irv

Miller tire has the carlilse 6-12 ags on ebay for $108 a pair. Seems like a good price and they the narrow ones. Just type in 6/12 on the search and you'll see them.

Old Iron

Thanks for all the info guys. I like the idea of less offset and retaining the wide tires....hmmmm....desicions, desicions..... :thumbs:

Now I have something to keep me busy on eBay.

CasualObserver

You know... for the short term you could just try flip flopping wheels. mount them inside out.

Kelly

I think the WH wheels have to much offset and will not fit backwards.

CasualObserver

I thought maybe since he has the extra long axles, maybe he'd have room. I don't know, just a suggestion.

Kelly

Worth a try, it's only 5 bolts to find out.

TT

Here's another "trick" IF you can get the hubs off:

Unbolt the wheels from the hubs and pull the hubs off the axles. Spin them around "backwards" and bolt them to the front side of the wheel. (install the lugbolts out through from the back of the wheel)

Slide the hub/wheel/tire assembly onto the axle until the setscrew is centered over the key and tighten the setscrew.

That should be good for about a 6 to 8 inch width reduction and it'll still be a little wider than the "normal" three speeds.

Old Iron

You know... for the short term you could just try flip flopping wheels. mount them inside out.

That's what my father-in-law suggested. I was going to give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Old Iron

I measured the offset and there is just no way the wheels will bolt back on turned around. The offset is like 2 inches in the back and 6 in the front. Just a quick measurment with a tape measure. I also don't think the lug nuts would seat properly since the countersink would be on the other side. The lugs might back out with some use. Oh-well...I'll keep looking for some thinner wheels, that's all.

TT

I also don't think the lug nuts would seat properly since the countersink would be on the other side. The lugs might back out with some use.

You can bolt the wheels on either way and the lugbolts will be fine, John.

There's a company that makes green tractors with the yellow wheels that are on backwards. :thumbs: