Cee245

Sad day for shed but saved a Horse

Cee245

The fire was caused by a short in the power strip above the work bench...

Not sure what you mean by a basement? 

I'm just going from a 10x20 to a 12x24 shed. Just built on 4x4s

Cory

• Sad 1

rjg854

Fantastic that you were able to get a new shed out of this calamity and still able to save the old one. Funny how things work out.  Good for you and the kids. 

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

I ment, first dig a Basement in size about 10by10 or 12by10

Stabilize the digged sides by 3 Wooden Walls and make on front side a small Door, to drive into Basement.

the depth shall be about just so high, that you cat take a sit on your Wheelhorse, to drive in and out.

Then set the new Shed over the digged and reinforced Basement.

Additional a Foldable wooden Drawbridge, to drive directly into Shed.

Edited by Tractorhead
Enhance,
  • Like 2

Razorback

So glad that it wasn't a worse situation! I have been through similar, from a fire that started from some "dead" wood stove ashes. That shed was a total loss, and most of the contents. I feel for you, especially the inventorying and working with the insurance company. My experience with them was actually quite good..... I gave the lady an itemized list, and for each item I gave her a sample of prices from the internet. Initially, she would go and verify, but after the first few lists, she just assumed I had done my homework (which I had), and sent checks.

By the time it was all done, I would jokingly say, "If I had known I would make out so good, I would have burned it down a long time ago!" (Remember..... JOKINGLY)

My dad's side of the family is from your neighborhood in the Sherman, NY dairy farm area. A couple of cousins still live in the French Creek area, and another between Ripley and Sherman on Rt. 76. Beautiful area (in the summer). Spent several summers on relative's dairy farms in the mid/late 70's and early 80's. Grandparents lived between Ripley and Westfield on Rt. 20 near Forsythe Road. Another cousin moved his dairy from the top of the hill above Findley Lake to Muleshoe, TX about 10 years ago. If money was no object, I would have a summer home on the hill overlooking Lake Erie!

• Like 2

Cee245

@Tractorhead,

Very interesting idea. Never thought about that before.

This time For ME is just a simple old shed to back yard and new one built on site. 

Cory

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Would do this on my side, but because of Canal it was forbidden to me to dig there.

Otherwise i would do it.

If you make the Doorbride double folded, it will enlarge while drop down, to a Longer Platform.

If the Walls in Basement will even be stabilized with concrete, you have a pit, where you are able to drive with your car over,

to do some Service under the Car or Truck.

I allway's try to use everything i built, in most effective way.

it's just a suggest!

Stefan

• Like 2