Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Check out this eye candy

oldandred

Cas thats one pretty tractor I wished some of mine looked that good even after a rebuild some one said they didnt like the tuckes but all they need is a little TLC.

acsousa82

Cas

Short of finding one in its original box from the factory, it does not get any more original than that 653. Great looking horse! :thumbs:

Alex

d180man

Hi :dunno: love it ! :thumbs: i love to have it! take good care of it! :whistle::whistle: for puting up the photos

Coadster32

I am going to however take the seat pan to someone with a spectrum analyzer and get the formula.

If others are interested, The 551 restore that I am doing, I can do the same. I am using New Toro Red. From what I gather, when wheel horse was bought out by toro, toro liked wheel horse red better. They started using it on their stuff. The original toro red is known as "old toro red". Wheel horse red is known as "new toro red". The saying around here is "new toro red for old wheel horse tractor". This is expensive paint!! The question I have is if the spray "bomb" cans, match that of the gallon cans that you brush on. :thumbs: I am about to brush the frame, however all the rest of the tractor was sprayed. I was thinking of analizing both. One--to compare the new toro reds to each other. Two--to compre to this 653s paint. I'll post in this thread when I get the results. :whistle:

CasualObserver

Chris, yes, Toro adopted the color and made it their "New Toro Red," but (from what I've hear over the years, so don't hold me to this as gospel :thumbs: ) the original formula was a lead based paint, and the formula changed slightly when they were no longer allowed to use lead, thus the color shade changed, even if ever so slightly. The 653 is probably the best chance at getting THE color that everyone has been looking for.

linen beige

That's right Jason. I received info from Toro's main office back in '96 stating that due to EPA reg.s regarding lead additives in paint they were unable to exactly match the old Wheel Horse shade.

Iicap raises an interesting question that, if answered, may actually add to the confussion. Who supplied the original paint? It is my understanding that Wheel Horse used more than one supplier. This almost definitely means slight variations of shade between suppliers (or even batches from the same supplier). Has anyone else noticed that the Wheel Horses from the mid '60s to mid '70s have a slightly more "orange" hue? Add to that the fact that different chemical compositions will likely fade differently and the color variations across the years become even greater. Two machines painted from the same container will fade differently when exposed to different climates.

We know that the Ponds wanted to match as closely as possible the color used on Farmalls in the late '40s/early '50s but could not exactly match it due to it being a copyrighted shade. But, we also know that the shade used by Farmall then is not exactly the same as the shade available now (There go those EPA regs again).

What it boils down to is, Fomariz has an original 653 that has been protected from most of the elements that cause fading about as well as could possibly be hoped for. Getting a color match of the paint on his tractor would give us what we could best hope to call the correct shade for the time period his tractor was built. I'm going to guess that it will be between what we now know as IH red and Rustoleum Regal Red.

Eriks Red horse herd

HERE, HERE JIM COULDN'T SAID IT ANY BETTER :thumbs::whistle: As long as it's red and not green! it dosn't matter what shade in my book!

04fxdwgi

You know I was thinking, you say you have the original battery (or what could be the original) Did Wheel Horse have their logo on their batteries? Is it possible to get it refurbished, and have a completely stock machine?

That battery has a " 4/07" sticker on it and the old batteries had individual cell caps on them. That is a fairly modern battery, not the origional.

Rollerman

That battery has a " 4/07" sticker on it and the old batteries had individual cell caps on them. That is a fairly modern battery, not the origional.

Cas said the original battery came with it....he didn't claim it was in it. :thumbs: