Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Check out this eye candy

Rollerman

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8585

Seen this new post W/pic of formariz's all original 653.

I'm not a Tucky fan....but that pegs the drool meter to see one like that in such good shape & unaltered! :thumbs: :whistle:

C-Series14

Wow....I am impressed. :thumbs:

kpinnc

VERY VERY nice machine. But was there normally that much overspray on the bolt heads and fuel lines from the factory?

I'm not knocking the tractor- It's beautiful. Just a bit surprised...

Kevin

jusjeepn

Kevin, I can see where the overspray on the fuel lines does not look very good. If these engines came into the factory already plumbed, cut to fit on the supply hose length, then they got their shiny coat of paint.... I do question the shroud being removed and possibly the head? (Notorious Tecumseh head gasket?)

Super nice machine!!!! :whistle: I may have to get a round hood! :thumbs:

HorseFixer

All I have to say is... :whistle::whistle::dunno: :thumbs:

TT

It certainly is a nice 653. :thumbs:

I'm not too sure on the particulars, but these tractors were painted as sub-assemblies, not individual parts. It's typical to find a painted bolt installed right next to a plated bolt or a tab or back side of a bracket that doesn't have any paint on it at all since it was assembled prior to painting.

Engines came from the suppliers and were already painted as close to WH red as the engine manufacturer could get - and that paint included hoses, spark plug wire, spark plug, etc.

clintonnut

Absolutely beautiful! I spent about 10 minutes to just gain consciousness on what I saw. It is the nicest unrestored wheel horse I have ever seen. I think this is a breakthrough in factory correct restos!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::whistle::whistle:

Charlie

WHC-125

:whistle: :whistle: That looks AMAZING :thumbs:

DMESS

I was wondering where that one ended up. I still have pictures of it floating around from what I assume to be the last change of hands. Very nice machine and it's nice to be able to see some high res detail shots. Excellent reference material.

Backing up what TT mentioned the engines arrived already painted as one assembly. Take note that Kohler bothered to take the time to use primer thus the reason you see many badly faded/weathered Horses with relatively nice red engines. :thumbs:

farmerall

:whistle::whistle: That looks AMAZING :thumbs:

ditto

Coadster32

ditto

I ditto that. (I think) :thumbs:

Eriks Red horse herd

Thats one mighty fine looking HORSE!!! Sure can tell some one took good care of that fine filly and it shows. I wish all mine came that way. Seem like I get all the rusted, lame and decrepit horses.

formariz

Thank you everyone.

This tractor was definitely loved through out its 56 years. I don't think it has slept outside a single day therefor its vibrant color. According to the person who sold it to me, it belonged to an elderly man who lived in a small farm and it was basically used as transportation sometimes pulling a small wagon.It did come with a homemade hitch with a 2" ball. It was only after the original owner passed away that the seller obtained it and used it to cut the grass on a local school twice as I was told. Physical evidence around the deck and under tractor pretty much substantiates it.

The engine shroud was definitely removed probably just once in its life.When I got it it was not charging the battery so someone probably removed it to follow the wires and diagnose the problem. Obviously it was not fixed when I got it. The diodes were installed "upside down" when I inspected it. Corrected it and it charges as it should.No other bolts or screws show any sign of ever being removed. The condition of the 56 year old tires is incredible.Not one single crack on them. I have probably worn them more in the short time that I have it than up to it, specially the new tire "nibs".

Driving it is another experience.It is like a new car.Everything is tight and solid specially the steering without any play whatsoever.

:thumbs:

Cas

Rollerman

Cas I seen your pics this morning & wanted to start a thread so everyone would see it & maybe comment on it.

Thanks for chimeing in.

Again...that is a very, very nice 653. :thumbs:

KyBlue

Wow...thats impressive...very impressive! :thumbs:

linen beige

I'd like to see this but the pics have been deleted!

formariz

They are back. I didn't realize that organizing the photos into albums in photo bucket deleted them from here.

linen beige

:thumbs: for putting them back up.

:whistle:

Fantastic find!

Ladies and germs, here we have a perfect opportunity to get a mixing code for REAL Wheel Horse red! Can you get a spectrometer match from the underside of the seat where little to no sunlight could have faded it? That would be pretty valuable to all of us.

CasualObserver

Beautiful machine Cas. Thanks for sharing the pics. Can you add some of the plow and hardware in the bag?

Ladies and germs, here we have a perfect opportunity to get a mixing code for REAL Wheel Horse red! Can you get a spectrometer match from the underside of the seat where little to no sunlight could have faded it? That would be pretty valuable to all of us.

I'd go with inside the belt guard. Easily removed. Large and flat enough for a good sample reading, and small enough to carry into a paint shop. :thumbs:

I'm also noticing the serial number... really close to a 000 cutoff... wonder if the 62-prefix decals stopped at 24000 or 25000?

linen beige

I'd go with inside the belt guard.

stevasaurus

this may be a stupid question but, was the Pond signature in the photo common to all tractors back then? Is it a decal? :thumbs:

I have 2 tractors from 1962 and I do not remember seeing it on them. Maybe it was signed at a show.

But what a nice looking horse...it is like stepping back in time. WOW :whistle:

Eriks Red horse herd

How about the underside of the hood or just load it up and take it to the paint store. I no when they matched my work trucks the one they used was hand held so they probably could get the under side of the frame?

iicap

What a beautiful horse / find!!!!

Now, basicly being new to RS I/ve wondered about horses being done over and using IH red or other shades. If I'm understanding this correctly, (1) No one knows what the original WH red is ? (2) Do you guys know who the manufacturer was that supplied the factory ? Questions are just to help me catch up to you guys on this paint thing. Thanks

formariz

Added a few more photos which may be of interest. Seat pan definitely has the most brilliant paint. Under hood is very similar but it may be altered from the engine heat.I always thought that Rustoleum Regal red was a close match but actually Benjamin Moore's Brilliant Red #20 is almost a dead on match. I am going to however take the seat pan to someone with a spectrum analyzer and get the formula.

Surprisingly one thing the tractor does not have is the deck height adjuster (rod and knob)It has never been on looking at the interior of the bracket.

Added photos of never installed plow that came with it.

To answer someones question, tractor was signed by Cecil Pond at last years show.

CasualObserver

You know I was thinking, you say you have the original battery (or what could be the original) Did Wheel Horse have their logo on their batteries? Is it possible to get it refurbished, and have a completely stock machine?