Sign in to follow this  
perry

rear ball mount ideas

perry

what kind of ideas have you guys come up with for a rear ball mount. i have several small to large trailers i move around and always have the promblem with the hitch moving all over the place. i came up with the muffler clamp around the combo hitch's today.

1aJDparts036.jpg

Rollerman

Perry where is the lift cable that goes to your slot hitch?

I'm a little confused why you clamped them together. :D

On the Yahoo hitches group there are some pretty good ideas there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsehi...yguid=147630997

perry

the heck with them cables. you cant haul a heavy load of wood with just the cable taking all the load. i have broken too many of them in the past. plus i dont even have a cable setup for the B.

combatmp29r

I saw this on ebay awhile back thought it was a good idea. I have a receiver tube here somewhere to make one of these out of, now where is it exactly :D

sleevehitchto2inreceiver.jpg

Rollerman

Hmm must be a heck of a load of wood? :D

You can fabricate a solid mount out of scrap steel & go to the bolt at the top of the tranny case.

This will solid mount the pivot hitch & lets you put a ball hitch on a little higher than the flat tab hitch for yard carts.

perry

oh ya! i dont mess around when hauling wood. the biggest thing is backing up and the hitch wants to come up. winds up banging all around back there.

sometimes ya gotta do some wild manuvering when your out in the deep bush :D .

Rollerman

Hmm...Perry it sounds like you need a 4 wheeled cart or a small hay wagon. :D

kpinnc

Perry, I used one of the old "draw" hitches (the one that comes on ALL of the newer WH). I drilled the hole out large enough for a 3/4 inch shanked 1 and 7/8th ball.

If you decide to put a big load on it, I'd definately weld a "foot" onto the tongue of the hitch where it goes under the tranny. It'll keep a heavy load from cracking the bottom out of the tranny. I should have actually used a bigger one on mine:

muledrive043.jpg

I bought an 8 speed tranny that the bottom was busted on. I didn't notice it until I got it home, because someone JB welded the crack shut. I think a heavy load like a full sized trailer can really do some damage with high tongue weight...

Kevin

T-Mo

Kevin,

Good idea. I would imagine that there might be a few Wheel Horses out there with cracked trannies from pulling too heavy of a load.

All this talk of hitches and cables, etc., has may me realize that I don't think I have a cable on any one of my horses. If I go get that tiller I've mentioned over on the Implements and Attachments section, I would need a cable and all it's hardware to lift the tiller. Hmmm, I have to see what one costs new. :D

nylyon

Perry, the electro I just picked up has the same mount. I would love to have a tube which fits over the drawbar hitch with a ball on it which I could put on and off.

T-Mo

Sounds like an opportunity and/or a market for something like this. Where's Dale? He made those wheel hub pullers. Maybe someone here could make a removable hitch ball mount. :P

In the JD crowd there are a few one man operations making various things, from weight brackets, to 3 point hitches, to ball mount brackets, to who knows what. But, the JDs are a little more mainstream :D and might have a bigger customer base to cater to.

Rollerman

There are all kind of good ideas in the Wheel horse hitches group.

Some probably not to hard to fab, you do have to join to use the site but it's mostly a catch all showing the various hitches & differant creations.

The links in my 2nd post on the thread.

I haven't seen a cracked tranny case yet I have seen some pretty abused hitches that were bent.

There are actually 2 diffeant types..a standard & a heavy duty.

I'm thinking if you can break a cable on a slot hitch though...you may have exceeded the safe zone. :D

Here are a few pics off the hitches group.

I don't think the member builds them anymore...but it's a slick setup.

e5db.jpg

c1cb.jpg

T-Mo

That looks pretty good.

As for the Yahoo groups, is there a Wheel Horse Hitch Group? :D I might as well join then if there is, I belong to just about every Yahoo group dealing with tractors. :P

perry

i guess ill leave the heavy work for this little orange guy.

BROADMOOR038.jpg

and the light duty for the red ones :D

oct20002.jpg

perry

I'm thinking if you can break a cable on a slot hitch though...you may have exceeded the safe zone. :D

e5db.jpg

ya stephan that looks heavy duty, but whats going to stop that hitch from comeing up when going in reverse with a load on.

Rollerman

Perry did you build that up or is that a factory peice for the simple?

perry

Perry did you build that up or is that a factory peice for the simple?

that hitch was a factory option but is hard to find and costly when they pop up on ebay. a fella made these as a one time shot for club members. it attaches to the rear or the front with 2 quick pins. its really a sweet setup.

thats why im trying to get some ideas for my horse's so they can join in on the fun.

Rollerman

Perry I'd think if you solid mount the pivot hitch by running a peice of scrap steel from the trans down to it.

Then get a 2" receiver hitch blank & weld/rig up some kind of an adapter to fit it in the slot hitch it be a better setup? :(

The Wheel Horse hitches seem pretty low for a normal trailer...once you load a trailer up like that it put's a lot of stress & weight on the tongue/hitch.

If you can make a receiver mount then you can pretty much set the height of the trailer as needed makeing it an easier haul on the tractor & more work for the trailer....kind of like your Simplicity setup....looks to put the togue of the trailer higher.

I used to have a setup like this for pulling a boat trailer around with an 855...I don't have either now though. :D

Anyways if I'd put the tongue all the way to the hitch the tractor would be to light in the front & wanted to drive out from under it...not pull the weight ahead.

By haveing that receiver mount made I had the tongue higher, the trailer closer to level & the tractor pulled it very well. :P

TR_DIGGER

I have taken some 1X2(?) stock and cut it to length to make this. This way I can move it from tractor to tractor.

Later Ty

Attached Image

post-3-1202477404.jpg

nylyon

I like that one, nice and simple and fits over all the drawbars :thumbs: