Bear G

Steering Wheel Removal off D-160 (??)

Bear G

Anyone know how the Steering Wheel comes off a D-160?

I don’t see any set screw, bolt, or roll pin.

Are these pressed on?

7E75B38F-446C-4298-AC7B-71972F31EBEA.jpeg

5FF65FD0-CC66-4B07-9102-3E6FE7BE823E.jpeg

A04A7A90-8479-484D-A5C9-146C93457C2F.jpeg

0AE187A2-AC89-4505-9918-26418DF7FEC5.jpeg

pfrederi

Remove the center cover.  Big nut first then soak and pray

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Do not use a two or three jaw puller on the steering wheel. A bearing splitter should do the trick, run the nut to the top of the shaft and use a scrap piece of steal to spread the load.. If it is hard to pull you may want to warm the shaft up with a torch and apply some pariffin wax then let it cool. The heat will break up the rust and the wax will help lubricate it.

Image result for bearing splitter

• Like 3

pacer

953 nails it --- will be well worth your time to toodle off to HF and get their set of splitters. They are just plain handy around the shop anyway -- and honestly, I would think you wont be able to get the wheel off without this. That wheel can really get stuck!

Put the flat sides of the splitter under the wheel and get it as close to the shaft as you can. Protect your threads on the shaft, I run the nut up on the threads rill it is just even with the top. Put a good bit of pressure on it puller and occasionally 'whap' the top of the big screw with a hammer, this will give a 'jar' to the splines and help it break loose.

image.png.90e03fb53a8edc2a4bb572e8d3e86eb8.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bear G

Good info. Thanks all!

• Like 1