FatJackDurham

520 vs. 416 wires down by starter - What are they?

FatJackDurham

So, I traced my 416 charging issue down to the 30 amp fuse down by the starter. But I messed up one spade on the rectifier, so I need another one anyway. But there is this one wire dangling (object A in the 416 photo) from the harness on the 416 down by the starter area. The only thing similar I can see on the 520 connect to some mysterious thing on the engine block (object B in the 520 photo). Temperature sensor maybe? do I need to get one for the 416?

520 photo

520.jpg

416 photo

416.jpg

Edited by FatJackDurham

varosd

Only used on 520

dont need it for 416

cleat

You are correct in that it is a high temperature switch used to turn on a warning light on the 520.

Not used on the 416 and the connection B is just a ground for the headlights.

I would check under the engine tins if I were you, it looks like some grass is trying to build up there.

FatJackDurham
11 hours ago, cleat said:

You are correct in that it is a high temperature switch used to turn on a warning light on the 520.

Not used on the 416 and the connection B is just a ground for the headlights.

I would check under the engine tins if I were you, it looks like some grass is trying to build up there.

Yes, while I am working on the fuse and solenoid, I'll try to blow out the fins. 

Watch this Richard

The 416 has a couple of unused lines.  The temp sensor and the tach line (from rectifier) are two of them.  

I seem to recall a third unused line ----- but don't recall what it was.  

FatJackDurham

Well, the 416-8 is fixed. Replaced the solenoid, rectifier and charging fuse assembly. Thanks by the way for who ever posted in my 520 post about how you can get those fuse blocks or singles. I had no idea. I ordered one, slapped it in. Baddabing. 14.5 volts, starts right up, and the voltimeter works too. Who woulda thunk it.