cgambino1018

Is there a spring missing on this belt

cgambino1018

A few weeks ago I asked about losing power and it wound up being low on hydro oil..  I suspected that the belt was slipping and just had to look.  I took the cover off to look at the belt and pulleys and they all look good but I noticed the belt was loose (about 2 in of play) and I assume that is too much.  I then noticed the top pulley had no tension on it.  Should there be a spring there to hold the tension of the belt?

Thanks

Chris

20180805_005555430_iOS.jpg

20180805_005603096_iOS.jpg

20180805_005540564_iOS.jpg

20180805_005546497_iOS.jpg

rjg854

I'm sure some one can explain this better than me, but here goes.  When the transmission is in the park position there should be no tension on the drive belt.  It should have slack in order to start the engine without turning the transmission. It's only when you engage the transmission does the belt tighten up.

Tankman

When you remove your foot off the clutch pedal a spring tensions the belt.

What model Horse do you have? Here's a peek--boo at my 520-8 linkage:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/41-20o801-520-8-toro-520-8-garden-tractor-1990/clutch-brake-and-speed-control-linkage-520-8/

daveoman1966

You are missing item # 41 in this pic  It firs behind the idler pulley...connects to the flat bar that thye pulley is mounted on...the other end to the tunnel housing...maybe to the frame.

520  idler.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

cleat

Here are a couple of not real great pics but best I could find at this hour.

5b66b3c1486ea_Beltguides.jpg.535545949468428112fee78e02d33778.jpg

5b66b3c63a3e1_ProgressasofJuly2020183.JPG.3815e08cf0a47db4d293d3acc99d536d.JPG

Upper end of spring hooks into a tab on the tension arm right behind the pulley.

Lower end of spring connects to the little 1/4" (5/16" wrench) bolt in the frame.

I take the outer nut off then hook spring into upper end then slide spring onto bolt and loosely tighten nut.

Nut should hold spring on but not clamp tightly to it.

I then lift up on pulley and slide belt under it.

lynnmor
14 minutes ago, cleat said:

Upper end of spring hooks into a tab on the tension arm right behind the pulley.

Lower end of spring connects to the little 1/4" (5/16" wrench) bolt in the frame.

I take the outer nut off then hook spring into upper end then slide spring onto bolt and loosely tighten nut.

Nut should hold spring on but not clamp tightly to it.

I then lift up on pulley and slide belt under it.

That would be a 7/16" wrench.  Use a locknut and don't tighten it against the spring.

I learned a trick yesterday when installing the drive belt, I tied the pulley up using a long wire tie thru thru the console bolt holes. 

cgambino1018

Thanks everyone for the detail and quick response.  Ordering the spring now.

Chris

cleat
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That would be a 7/16" wrench.  Use a locknut and don't tighten it against the spring.

I learned a trick yesterday when installing the drive belt, I tied the pulley up using a long wire tie thru thru the console bolt holes. 

Sorry, I meant 7/16". It was dark and I hit the wrong key.

I always use a new locknut but if the original one still holds it may be OK as well.

ohiofarmer

My springs kept breaking and I have better luck with a cut section of motorcycle tube. It really does not take much "pressure' to keep that belt from slipping.

• Like 1

cgambino1018

Springs on and now no more belt slipping.. now moving on to the brakes.