FatJackDurham

How d'ya remove stuck wheel weights?

FatJackDurham

My new 520H (did I mention I got a 520H?) has some beauty wheel weights on it. I was going to leave them with the seller, but we couldn't get the darn things off. They were stuck tight.

What tips do you have to getting the plastic wheel weights to leggo the rims? WD-40? VooDoo?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

VooDoo?

Never ran into this. I would think if you back off the nuts on the bolts that hold them on and drive it around on some rough ground they would come off.

• Like 2

Pullstart

M80’s?  :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 6

stevasaurus

Use the "Force" Luke.  Seriously, I like what 953 Nut (Richard) said.  :)

• Haha 2

Tractor boy

If you don’t care about the rims or weights a pry bar jammed in between the two might make it easier to wiggle the two apart. Don’t forget to remove the nuts 

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

My new 520H (did I mention I got a 520H?) has some beauty wheel weights on it. I was going to leave them with the seller, but we couldn't get the darn things off. They were stuck tight.

What tips do you have to getting the plastic wheel weights to leggo the rims? WD-40? VooDoo?

Can you get to the back of the rim with something like a really long punch?

Any pictures you could take to show us where you think they are stuck?

1 hour ago, pullstart said:

M80’s?  :laughing-rofl:

Go big or go home. Quarter stick?

Sometimes I wish I had guys like you for a neighbor and sometimes I'm glad you live halfway across the country.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Sometimes I wish I had guys like you for a neighbor and sometimes I'm glad you live halfway across the country.

I dont really know know how to take that...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by pullstart
Fat fingers
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I dont really know know how to take that...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

:ROTF:

FatJackDurham

I tried a pry bar gently, tried driving them off through the holes from the inside...

the m80 idea has merit...

i could wait wait for winter, drizzle water through the hole from inside the rim and let the ice expand....

ill try driving with the nuts loosened. Maybe the rims will flex a tiny amount.

what are these things filled with? Sand or cement? If I whack it with a sledge will it crack?

Edited by FatJackDurham

wallfish

Sounds like someone attached the weights while the paint on the rim was still wet. Those plastic weights are filled with concrete and they're a common item. Certainly not a collector's item so I would just smash them off with a BFH if they couldn't be removed easily. Doesn't seem like you need them anyway since they were originally going back to the previous owner.

FatJackDurham
18 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Sounds like someone attached the weights while the paint on the rim was still wet. Those plastic weights are filled with concrete and they're a common item. Certainly not a collector's item so I would just smash them off with a BFH if they couldn't be removed easily. Doesn't seem like you need them anyway since they were originally going back to the previous owner.

Yes, I had planned not use this tractor for winter work, at least this year. Also, I wanted to give the prev-own the chance to recoup some loss as he had dumped $800 on the motor last year. I haven't bought the deck or snow thrower yet.

But since I have the weights and the wheels are loaded, if the tractor runs this weekend when I get the muffler on it, I may go buy the rest.

wallfish

Ah ha, that's the best option, add a snow blower and leave'm on there!

The guy dumped $800 into the engine and it doesn't run? For $800 it should run perfect and also come with an attachment to clean the house.

How about removing the whole assembly, Weights, wheels and the hubs? Now you can put something through the axle hole of the hub and possibly knock them off.

SPINJIM

I had similar thing happen when I put a set of plastic weights from an older WH onto a newer WH.    I think WH used more than one supplier for their wheel rims over the years, and just 1/8" difference in inside diameter can make it a tight fit.   If I remember correctly, I shot some WD-40 around the edge, and gradually worked a pry bar around the edge.  Might help to jack up the opposite side of the tractor to let gravity help while you pound on the weight thru holes in the back of the rim.  Also, 953nut had a good idea to just loosen the nuts and drive it around.   

Good luck,   JIm

The Tuul Crib

Have you tried any dish soap on it? 

• Like 1

briankd

i have the same wheel weights and yes they are a bear to get off . i used a pry bar and was careful not to gouge the rim and after some cussing they came off. i then went and used my 4 inch angle grinder on the back side mounting surface and ground some off that way they aren't so dam tight in the rim. mine are filled with cement.   

Sarge

Prying on those plastic weights will knock holes in them, then the cement powder leaks out over time. Last set I had that was stuck - used a 15" car rim and repeatedly dropped the wheel/tire/weight assembly onto the rim, laying on the ground. The shock and inertia knocked the weights out after a few rounds. It's tricky to get it to land flatly - so watch your shins....

Sarge