Pullstart

Shop project...

Tractorhead

The Fire itself just shall burn under the Pan, or did you conducting the exhaust?

i'm asking because so you can conduct the exhaust with a structure of ribs maybe...

Edited by Tractorhead

Pullstart

The fire will be directly under the pan.  This game is all about heat transfer, we are boiling 39 gallons of water out of 40 gallons of sap to produce 1 gallon of syrup..  

Tractorhead

Ah ok,

is there a part of the Pan, who's needed more heat? 

I'm not familar with cooking syrup, so that's why im asking

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Ah ok,

is there a part of the Pan, who's needed more heat? 

I'm not familar with cooking syrup, so that's why im asking

No worries, I don’t think it will take more or less... mainly even heat.  We are essentially keeping a simmer (just below boiling) and the whole pan will be steam rising.

Tractorhead

I'm curious about progress.

good luck and a lot of Fun "Brandmaster" 👍

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s ready, shy of some skis to get out to the spot we’ll process at!

0197791F-DC68-4371-A969-B8BBB083C777.jpeg

Pullstart

A couple finishing touches, just needs one more thing (other than fire and sap!).  Skis are tonight’s project, tomorrow is a test run on site with water to burn off any fuel oil residue inside the tank.

02C0ABB9-3233-465E-A3D5-465480260A76.jpeg

081CD111-9313-4C37-A6BC-12393B629E49.jpeg

CE8AD43B-C033-4868-BE02-D76CB4859284.jpeg

159722D4-1EAB-4CEE-9C33-D1CFE2EA4727.jpeg

8B2A72D9-40DE-47E4-B7AD-43D9DF297CF3.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

It’s finished!  

1E59395E-C4CD-40E9-B5EF-28277E1A6776.jpeg

F9B3A4E2-82BF-4879-A0FD-5747C7C10CC2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

The water test run is proving to do what it should today, but my helper passed out chopping wood!

4408FA1B-B0D6-429A-A473-D7EE0303E88D.jpeg

721B73C3-CE55-40E7-BD21-1C1E1F013D3C.jpeg

2ED86E32-149B-460C-9B63-CD159390258D.jpeg

72C675BF-2F1B-4205-8577-E53F0A81771A.jpeg

8724680C-E3C2-49E1-9A76-812EB83D45D8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, pullstart said:

helper passed out chopping wood

Some people.

Just laying around sleeping all day.

:ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

oliver2-44

Cool Project.

Take us along for the syrup making.

I've never seen it done before

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s a great time to enjoy the outdoors, hang out with a buddy, and turn life off for just a little while.  Burning 97.5% of the water out of maple sap leaves you with the best syrup ever, in my opinion.  It takes a lot of wood chopping, a lot of heat and a long time to produce a quality product.  In the local Tractor supply the other day, a 16 oz. jar was $10.  We’ve averaged 4 gallons per year in the past, rough figures of 3/4 to 1 gallon per day of sap running and two weeks of season this year should yield 10.5-14 gallons of syrup!  According to TSC prices, that’s $800 or more worth of pure happiness!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

Like the horse poster on the door!! pretty awesome!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Some people.

Just laying around sleeping all day.

:ROTF:

That kid was in the baby backpack on my chest for 3 hours and never fussed a bit.  She’s 9 months now and comes over a couple days a week to hang out with us.  Now that nap time and food time is gone, it’s play time!

014F236C-DFFE-4C60-B1AB-610F1E5E0493.jpeg

• Heart 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

That kid was in the baby backpack on my chest for 3 hours and never fussed a bit.  She’s 9 months now and comes over a couple days a week to hang out with us.  Now that nap time and food time is gone, it’s play time!

014F236C-DFFE-4C60-B1AB-610F1E5E0493.jpeg

'bout time for her to get her own Tractor...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

Like the horse poster on the door!! pretty awesome!

There’s a few of Terry’s banners hangin’ there...

9D634087-B45B-45E3-BDF5-BE9D64825AC1.jpeg

• Excellent 2

bottjernat1

Seeing the kido makes me even more excited i have my first grand baby on the way in july. Emma Noel is going to be her name. i have had alot of bad stuff happen in the past 2 and a half years. Losing my biological mom, my adopted dad, just in the last year losing faith in my adopted family, i saved all my dads tractors and now my 2 sisters and adopted mom kept it all. but what i kept and put in 2 sheds i bought. it sucks to work so hard to save the memories and someone just push you aside for no good reason.  it has been tough on me and my girls but now our focus is on what i do have of my late dads and my first grand baby! we are so excited!!

20190213_165937.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Don’t tell anyone, I have enough down time to tidy up the shop a bit!

I wish I would have taken a before I started picture!

0FDFDCB3-5D7C-4603-9102-A034AED5BC24.jpeg

• Like 2

WHX??
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Cool Project.

Take us along for the syrup making.

I've never seen it done before

Quite the hobby here in the Midwest and Eastern states Jim ... trouble is it takes alot of time ...obviously something Pullstart has got WAY too much of! :ychain: Little early for us here to start tapping tho Kev???

• Haha 1

Pullstart
6 hours ago, bottjernat1 said:

Seeing the kido makes me even more excited i have my first grand baby on the way in july. Emma Noel is going to be her name. i have had alot of bad stuff happen in the past 2 and a half years. Losing my biological mom, my adopted dad, just in the last year losing faith in my adopted family, i saved all my dads tractors and now my 2 sisters and adopted mom kept it all. but what i kept and put in 2 sheds i bought. it sucks to work so hard to save the memories and someone just push you aside for no good reason.  it has been tough on me and my girls but now our focus is on what i do have of my late dads and my first grand baby! we are so excited!!

20190213_165937.jpg

Congrats on soon becoming a grand parent!  Being a dad and uncle is cool enough for me right now, but I look forward to working with my son in law’s some day, the way I get to work with my father in laws.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, WHX22 said:

Quite the hobby here in the Midwest and Eastern states Jim ... trouble is it takes alot of time ...obviously something Pullstart has got WAY too much of! :ychain: Little early for us here to start tapping tho Kev???

We have the next two weeks, that’ll be our season most likely.  I saw more trees tapped this morning, I’m not the only crazy one!

Pullstart

This is no drill, soldiers!

Here we are, first syrup making day!  We have 80-100 gallons of sap to run through today.

1AB67D4C-B760-4CE2-ACC2-036883CB0BE6.jpeg

Tractorhead

did you fire it with beech wood? 

Think i smell something....😉😋

Darb1964

I guess you can weld, by your first post i got the impression it was new to you that type of project. You are the MAN! I'm not I try to get stuff that runs and needs maintaining for the most part. If I had your skills I'd be on that bad boy if nothing real bad is noticeable. Thanks for your welcome look forward to dig pics.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1