Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I’m supposed to haul my camper tomorrow.  :confusion-confused:  Everything is ready to drop the cab back down!  I think I’ve got about 8-10 hours of work to do to be running again :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

7A527C05-A3F7-4E22-B680-7809A2A3E2D8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

:teasing-whipyellow:

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

:greetings-waveyellow:

4729E995-653B-495E-99C8-1479ADCDBF3F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Now that’s funny… hhhmmm… :eusa-think:Colossus… name ring any bells…? :ychain:

• Haha 4

Pullstart
42 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

36 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Now that’s funny… hhhmmm… :eusa-think:Colossus… name ring any bells…? :ychain:

Well… on EB’s defense Sylvia, I NEED this tomorrow.  BBT manages to hold down the fort just fine without Colossus.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

I need some fluids and fuel and a new fuel filter and I’m ready for test fire!

• Excellent 5

Pullstart

:banana-linedance:Still don’t have a fuel gauge (yet) but it’s running! I need to flush the cooling system good and change the oil.  

FB6ECB5A-6FDB-4A9D-945B-BC78DADFF436.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Handy Don

What was the original reason for tearing Norman apart anyway?

Pullstart

I just got back from a road test.  I drove about a mile, once warmed up.  Lots of white smoke at first, but it seems to be cleaning up well.  I think there is a lot of unburned fuel in the exhaust system!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

What was the original reason for tearing Norman apart anyway?

Injectors.

• Like 2

Pullstart

All the plastic is back in place and I’m ready to pull something!

C2ABE968-17B3-4BC6-8A45-7BA4FF7B7BF8.jpeg

29742276-44F2-42EB-9D8D-7672F7AB7327.jpeg

5F71F70F-4F10-4223-9A01-26273589394D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Excellent!!

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

5F71F70F-4F10-4223-9A01-26273589394D.jpeg

What, those horses don't wipe their feet before going inside? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

I see from the wheelchair supply you are ready for the annual Big Show Games…

:auto-ambulance:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I see from the wheelchair supply you are ready for the annual Big Show Games…

:auto-ambulance:

Sounds like there won’t be cargo room for chairs with wheels… the toy hauler will be doing just that!  :orcs-cheers:

• Haha 1

Pullstart

I’ve been brainstorming.  I don’t need any more projects.  I’ve got the bus listed for sale, but apparently there’s not a huge demand for them.  It runs and drives wonderfully at 134,000 miles.  I wouldn’t actually put a gun to it, but it’s a bulletproof 6.7 Cummins engine and Allison transmission combo.  The Allison is physically about the same size as the one that was in my Texas truck, the engine donor for Norman with a blown transmission.  So I have a rust free Chevy 2500HD with no engine or transmission in it.  I have a great diesel drivetrain in the bus with no serious offers on it.  I wouldn’t mind scrapping about 28,000 lbs for some project capital (right around $2,000 scrap value).  Best part, THE NAME!  

CummINS

chEVy

The CEVINS (Kevin’s).  Could it be?  Should it be?  Sounds amazing!

The wiring doesn’t scare me.  The fabrication doesn’t scare me.  The time required kind of does but it doesn’t need to be done quickly.  I even trimmed a wire harness for the Subaru buggy project in my bedroom one time (after I was married to boot!)!

8A595FB5-2C4F-441C-8D39-29C485D07160.jpeg

5D7E00D0-633A-42D7-94AF-CE95CDDED2DB.jpeg

ED0B5B0C-E676-49EF-82CC-2C643296E3F1.jpeg

57FB998D-6317-462D-80F9-1203C33F015D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Is there a rule on the state inspection books that says you can't swap that engine in?

Seems like a pretty interesting deal.  

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I’ve been brainstorming.  I don’t need any more projects.

With complete confidence that you could make it work, the larger question is "Why?"

What would you do with it that Norman or the farm truck doesn't do now?

Being a mutt of a truck (albeit a handsome, powerful, and efficient mutt), it would dissuade some potential buyers because it certainly couldn't be dealer-serviced.

Pullstart
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Is there a rule on the state inspection books that says you can't swap that engine in?

Seems like a pretty interesting deal.  

As far as I know, I could likely plop that red body right down on the bus chassis and call it a Chevy here in MI!  

• Haha 1

The Freightliner Guy

Put a Detroit diesel in that Chevrolet :laughing-rofl:

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
37 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

With complete confidence that you could make it work, the larger question is "Why?"

What would you do with it that Norman or the farm truck doesn't do now?

Being a mutt of a truck (albeit a handsome, powerful, and efficient mutt), it would dissuade some potential buyers because it certainly couldn't be dealer-serviced.

It could be a second alternative to hauling the camper if I needed to give my clutch leg a rest, or Mrs. P hauling different load to a tractor show while I haul the camper in Norman, her daily driver vs a Big Block Chevy gasser, endless possibilities.

I’m not much on selling perfectly useful vehicles and wouldn’t be concerned on resale value, and have proven there’s room in the barn to store it, it could be a kid’s first vehicle too.  I have two of them coming up on driving soon… 

• Like 2

Pullstart
Just now, The Freightliner Guy said:

Put a Detroit diesel in that Chevrolet :laughing-rofl:

Oh buddy if I could find me a 453T… that would be my preference!  

The Freightliner Guy

Or a Detroit 6 cylinder Diesel engine like what the old Euclid r22s had

Pullstart

I’m quickly becoming the race team’s go to for quick odd jobs.  There is an interference between the seat and the chassis of the new car they are building.  They asked me to weld a patch in.  

I brushed up on my base settings details from this article here on aluminum settings.

A test piece helped me do some tuning.  I picked up a new stainless steel brush to clean the parts and it’s time to rock and roll.  I did figure out, it’s easier starting in the middle of a plane, instead of the tip.  Hopefully this will help on the patch.

79711B23-7481-4342-9E08-A9B2BA6C79BB.jpeg

4D708619-F560-4E66-9A61-1C79FE220C0E.jpeg

• Like 1