ebinmaine

Advice, help, suggestions wanted. My honey's 657 needs an engine transplant.

ebinmaine

If you read the restoration thread you'll see that one of my recent posts involves me snapping off the end of the crankshaft during an attempted repair.

You'll also see about a Briggs & Stratton engine  I'm going to use.

What I'm looking for in this thread is if anyone has ever put an older style Briggs & Stratton in place of a Tecumseh or even a Kohler....

What are the things I need to watch for?

KC9KAS

I see no reason that it wouldn't work. You will need to check out the wiring for the B & S and make sure you have the correct switch in the Horse.

You may have to "fab" the belt guard to attach it to the B & S.

• Like 2

Tractor boy

I will definitely following this thread. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

I am assuming you do not want/need  a PTO  so other than electrical Mag vs battery and the alignment of the crank there  should not be no  issue

Got to add none of my horses are pretty...but they all work.  I am  more into functionality before I worry about looks.

Edit:  (I do not worry about looks....:P)

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I am assuming you do not want/need  a PTO  so other than electrical Mag vs battery and the alignment of the crank there  should not be no  issue

Got to add none of my horses are pretty...but they all work.  I am  more into functionality before I worry about looks.

Edit:  (I do not worry about looks....:P)

My honey says ... "I'm going for, running"....

"I must have spark."

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You may want to consider a 13 hp Predator from HF , electric start key start. I would only use if not using the PTO / mower etc. Have on on a generator great motor.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I see no reason that it wouldn't work. You will need to check out the wiring for the B & S and make sure you have the correct switch in the Horse.

You may have to "fab" the belt guard to attach it to the B & S.

1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

other than electrical Mag vs battery and the alignment of the crank there  should not be no  issue

I think we're okay on the wiring. The Tecumseh has a wire that comes out of the mag that grounds to kill it. The Briggs has the modern style coil setup with no points (it was retrofitted)  and it appears to have the same wire that grounds to kill the spark.

Looks like I may have to make an incision in the top of the guard and lift it up just a little bit or move the side hole of the guard, or both. The new crankshaft is about three quarters of an inch higher than the old crankshaft.

pfrederi

I must admit I do not worry about looks until i get them running....If they run then i do not worry about looks....:P

Consider wire guides mounted to the block instead of adjusting  the belt guard

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

KC9KAS
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The new crankshaft is about three quarters of an inch higher than the old crankshaft.

Did the Tecky have a mounting plate between the engine and the frame?

Are you measurements from the frame to crank on both engines?

Just trying to make sure you did or didn't take the mounting plate into consideration.

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling

AMC RULES

Make your life easy...

find yourself a good running K-181 Kohler to swap in there.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 4

WHNJ701
4 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Make your life easy...

find yourself a good running K-181 Kohler to swap in there.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

exactly!

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

And just get some 857 decals too

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I agree. I swapped a 7hp tecumseh for an 8hp kohler on a work horse 700 and it was the best decision i ever made. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Did the Tecky have a mounting plate between the engine and the frame?

Are you measurements from the frame to crank on both engines?

Tecumseh does have a mounting plate.

Briggs does not.

Measurements are from frame to shaft on both.

Briggs has a larger crankcase.

11 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

good running K-181 Kohler to swap

Easier yes... And a great idea...

:handgestures-thumbupright:

But we have the Briggs here and I don't mind tinkering with it.

And also really don't want to spend the $$$ for another engine.

:)

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've had 6.5to 8 horsepower engines over the years in Tecumseh, Briggs, Kohler.

Until I happened upon my b80 a couple years ago I had had great luck with the Briggs engines. The particular one that we are going to use, I've been around its entire life and it's always run fantastic. The Kohler may have more torque but that's not too much of a concern because her tractor is over 400 pounds lighter than mine.

SPINJIM

I've been trying to adapt Briggs 5hp to a Lawn Ranger and to a Commando 6 (close to your 657).   The PTO pulley position can be solved and the mounting holes aren't a problem, but the bulky air intake assembly and the angle of the exhaust have given me problems.    I went to an air filter from a go-cart, but haven't found an adapter for the exhaust that allows the exhaust pipe to clear the hood without cutting the hood.    I've set it aside for now to work on other projects, so I'll be interested in your results.

Good luck,     Jim

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

haven't found an adapter for the exhaust that allows the exhaust pipe to clear the hood without cutting the hood.

In this particular tractor the exhaust from the old engine and the exhaust from the new engine both face straightforward parallel with the frame.

The only issue I can foresee for me is my exhaust port may be a bit too high. I should be able to solve that by installing a down facing elbow into which the side facing elbow will screw, then... out from underneath the hood as originally intended.

This is not my engine but this is the air filter assembly I'm going to use.

IMG_3964.JPG.a7c68c431e49ee034aeda346dfa48ffc.JPG

Given the fact that the air filter is nearly even with the top of the engine, and the fact that the air filter sticks out past the side of the engine, I may have to do some creative piping in order to set this up. I won't be able to put any pics of that up for a few days but I'll certainly post them here.