Sign in to follow this  
Muddyfeet

Kt17 series II no spark

Muddyfeet

BeOk first off I have a older 80 400 series .  Was my father's and I am attached to the old lady.. it Was running ok.. 

This year after a year outside  it just will not start. I am Not a mechanic so working blind. 

I have the seat switch bypassed, also the PTO saftey switch. Replaced a lot of little parts,.Don't know if there is something else . so.. history aside.. cranks  no start.. using a test light.love my test light.. fixed a lot on some older engines with this.. anyway. Test light not meter. I get power to the points. Power. To the + end of the coil.. a flashing on the neg side of the coil when cranking.. I do get power after cranking on the neg end of the coil.. the two posts not where the spark plugs wires come out.. I do see A white spark seen and heard at the points when cranking and if I pull the points apart when not cranking .. using test light or inline spark plugs test nothing. have not done the pull  plug and ground to see.. but using test light I put in on the cable no light.. no light on the coil tower either.. I replaced the coil, condensor and points like 8 years ago I think.. it was hard to start and I was using the manual.. 

So no spark if power to the coil but nothing out equals bad coil right??  Well the local shops quote for 280 for a coil was a shock. . but looked online hard to find but a little less.. 

Cannot rember what I spent before.. 

So worth buying a coil and if so may as well replace points and condensor at same time?? Am I missing something?? Got power going into this and nothing out as I can see.. but heck what to I know.. 

pacer

Seems this engine has a bit of a reputation to blow coils, and they ARE horribly expensive. Look into using a Harley Davidson coil, I dont recall off hand the particulars of using one, maybe one of the other guys will come along and shed light on them. Might do some search using KT17 and Harley coil.

On mine, I found 2 unknown older coils at a flea mkt for $5 - worked like a charm!