Bill Sherman

Roll pin removal

Bill Sherman

I have a mule drive with a broken plastic knob on it.  I bought a new one off eBay.  Any suggestions on how to get the roll pin out?  I've destroyed several punches in the process so that doesn't appear to be an option.  I'm open to suggestions.

953 nut

You will probably need to heat it to break the bond the rust has formed, while it is hot melt a little candle wax on it so it will get down in the hole and help lubricate it.

• Like 3

Bill Sherman

Thank you very much. 

Cee245

Hey bill, 

you could drill out the old roll pin and go the next bigger size. 

Cory

pfrederi

Pb Blaster or kroil or your favorite bug juice and a real roll pin punch. 

roll.JPG

• Like 3

Sarge

Longest lasting set I've had to date is from Wilde - believe it or not, I found them at Menard's...lol. I've removed literally a 100 or more 1/4" roll pins and have yet to find any wear - very well made tools. I also have a full set of their punches and chisels, the ends are very well tempered and have held up as well or better than the older Proto ones in my toolbox.  Honestly, they have held up better than even the Starrett punches I've had for years despite the price difference.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/chisels-files-punches-sets/wilde-tool-reg-roll-spring-punch-set-6-piece/rs906/p-1444447023440-c-9122.htm?tid=1624492680578322976&ipos=2

Sarge

peter lena

often found that when trying to get out those pins is not having a solid stop to your pin impact. what ever you can do to secure and increase the impact point is the answer. often you are bouncing your force of impact. a 3 lb. hammer and a correct punch fit with penetrating oil will get it done , pete    

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
11 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Hey bill, 

you could drill out the old roll pin and go the next bigger size. 

Cory

I broke a lot of bits trying that on the side parking brake knob on a 520H. 

I finally saw a post from someone about roll pin punches. Not being a mechanic, I never knew there was a difference. Some Kroil, time, and a set of roll pin punches, and it popped right out

• Like 2

daveoman1966

I bought these CRAFTSMAN and they've never failed to drive out a pin...  

Here is the website:  http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-pc-roll-pin-punch-set/p-00943167000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1#

If you have the new knob, just break away the old knob...anyway you can.  You'll be left with a brass collar on a steel shaft with about a 1/8" dia roll pin.  Frind or cut off the old roll pin to where it is flush with the brass collar.  Stand a short 2/4 or other solid block under the other side and drive the pin down thru the brass collar...into the 2x4 block..  The 2x4 block will give stability to the base to drive the pin.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

Bill Sherman

I broke what was left of the adjustment knob off with a hammer, I melted the non-ferrous collar off and heated the metal rod cherry red.  I let it cool and soaked it with Sili-kroil and it finally came out.  Thank you all very much.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
23 minutes ago, Bill Sherman said:

heated the metal rod cherry red.  I let it cool and soaked it

:text-yeahthat:                 Old School methods continue to be the best solution!                          :text-bravo:

• Like 1

posifour11
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:                 Old School methods continue to be the best solution!                          :text-bravo:

Sometimes, all it takes is a bigger hammer.B)

• Haha 1

chev0545
On 6/9/2018 at 5:03 PM, posifour11 said:

Sometimes, all it takes is a bigger hammer.B)

lots of pb blaster & patience 

WHNJ701

if you like roll pins try redoing one these the entire tractor is assembled with roll pins.  lots of swearing, heat,  punches, tapping, waiting, pb blaster, drilling, you name I tried it etc.etc... not in any order.

2014-11-22_14-43-18_245.jpg

20150523_122740.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2