Sign in to follow this  
dgoyette

Gas leaking out of Carb

dgoyette

I got the plow lift situated and was cleaning up a bit and noticed a bit of what sounded like backfiring every once and a while. The tractor stalls so I notice I ran out of gas. So I fill up about 1/2 tank and she won't start again. I pop the hood and see a large quantity of gas running out of the air filter housing.

Obviously an issue in the carb? I am not sure what the carb issue could be Any ideas on what I should look at first? Stuck float?

Thanks

clintonnut

Definately check the float. Then check your carb settings. It sounds like it is running rich.

Charlie

Coadster32

:thumbs: Likely the float. If not,perhaps the seat/needle. Good luck.

dgoyette

:thumbs: Likely the float. If not,perhaps the seat/needle. Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome Coadster32!

Question - if it is the seat/ needle gas should keep flowing out even with the engine shut off. Is this correct?

I have the shut off valve turned to off of course now so nothing is flowing.

Is the easiest way to check to remove the fuel bowl off the carburetor or do I need to remove the Carburetor?

clintonnut

It is easier to take the carb off. It is only 2 bolts and the linkage. The gas should keep flowing until the float bowl fills up and the needle closes at the seat, refusing the gas to keep flowing to the carburetor until the gas in the bowl is used up, making the needle open again repeating the process.

Charlie

KyBlue

Charlie is right...Thou You can for a temp fix, just simply pull the bowl off, and clean out anything that floating around...

I would suggest tearing the carb down, and soaking it, giving it a good cleaning, then putting a rebuild kit in it.. pretty simple to do. only need a couple tools.. just be sure to count how many turns your needles unscrew, so you can set them back pretty close to how they are now.

dgoyette

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I will pull it this afternoon- actually looking forward to it! I 'ok just find a way to leave work early.

I know for sure the carb was cleaned and rebuilt very recently so it could be justban odd piece of crud. Or just the float stuck- since I ran her out of fuel the float would have moved to the lowest position and just got stuck there. Sound like a reasonable assumption?

MaineDad

Darren,

It must be that the float needle is stuck. Take the bowl off and manually raise and lower the brass float. That should un-stick the float needle without taking the carb off. There is a brand new float needle, float pin, high speed screw, idle speed screw, and bowl.

Let us know. If you need help, let me know and I'll swing over this weekend.

catman81056

If you don't have one already, an inline filter is cheap insurance to have. :thumbs:

proshop

I had the same trouble with my b100 auto 12 hp kohler. I vated the carb and put it back and ran good for a while till i noticed the fuel was leaking out of the carb.took it off three more times and still the same thing,till i noticed the float was full of gas :thumbs: I drained the float and heated it to vaporise any remaining,then put JB weld on the suspect areas and it runs great now.

just shake the float to see.

Rod(NASNUT)

I had the same trouble with my b100 auto 12 hp kohler. I vated the carb and put it back and ran good for a while till i noticed the fuel was leaking out of the carb.took it off three more times and still the same thing,till i noticed the float was full of gas :thumbs: I drained the float and heated it to vaporise any remaining,then put JB weld on the suspect areas and it runs great now.

just shake the float to see.

That is what I would do check the float to see if it is full of gas :whistle: as far as the JB weld it will add weight to the float. I would just go and get a new float and be done with it.

dgoyette

Catman- It does already have an inline filter.

I pulled the bowl off and sure enough the needle was stuck. but it appeared to be stuck up??? That does not make sense to me as doens't it stop fuel in the up position?

Anyway I worked it up and down a number of times and think it is all set.

Here is a picture of what I found in the bowl - looked like fine sand particles

http://picasaweb.google.com/darrengoyette/...816597004857122

Here is a picture of what my spark plug looks like.

http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37/dr...=Sparkplug2.jpg

she seems to be running good now with no leaks - this engine idles terrific.

MaineDad

Darren,

Glad you got it figured out. There must have been some crud that worked free and made the float needle stick. Nice work. Aint these old tractors fun?

clintonnut

The nice part is now you know how the engine will run with that crap in the carb. That way you can diagonse any other tractor as soon as you start it up.

Charlie

dgoyette

Darren,

Glad you got it figured out. There must have been some crud that worked free and made the float needle stick. Nice work. Aint these old tractors fun?

thanks Micha - and you got that right this tractor has been a blast so far.

BTW I did end up welding that link. I figured I would just repair it in line with how it was originally manufactured. Besides the repair shop I use welded if for free!