Buzz

Part # for starter generator bearing

Buzz

Bearing is squealing like a stuck pig. Anyone know the part number so I can get a pair from NAPA?

jebbear

Buzz, I don't know the part number, but I found a starter/generator shop near me (SW PA) that is a genuine "old school" shop of which there are not many left. I swear that he probably has every possible part from any generator ever made on his shelves. I walked in a couple of months ago with my starter/generator that was totally toast, burned up armature and all. He walked back through his storage area, blew the dust off of an old box, and voila, brand new armature. He went to his bench, rebuilt the whole thing for me while I waited, and walked out the door with a rebuilt starter. If you don't have any luck locating one close to you, might want to give him a call. He probably has your bearings and might be able to send you one. I am sure that he has the manual/parts list for your starter if you give him the model number. Great guy to deal with & treated me right, so I can highly recommend. His contact info:  Rubino's Generator, Starter, & Alternator Service - 136 Main Street, New Eagle, PA 15067  (724) 258-3204

• Like 1

pfrederi

Kohler doesn't support these any more.  Both are discontinued.  I looked up a K181 from an 856 you should look up your engine spec to make sure.  #51 is Part 270311 #59 is 230813

http://www.kohlerenginesparts.com/PartStream/Index#/Kohler_Engine/K181-30108_WHEEL_HORSE_8_HP_(6_kW)_SPECS_30100-30848/Electric_Start_11-2-96_TP-2045-B/4936/CATALOGS|~17405

sg1.JPG

953 nut

I Save Tractors has kits that you may want to look into. While you have it apart you will want to put in brushes and springs anyway.

Delco-Remy-Starter-Generator-Rebuild-Kit-Brush-and-Bearing-Set-Kohler-Briggs-and

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wheelhorseman

Ebay 

A21C9691-C435-4862-9A13-4AF4627F0BD4.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

dclarke

The Timken bearing number is 203SS. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

squonk

203ss is also a 6203 brg. which is what GM used in there alternators as well. You can get them open, steel shielded or with 1 or 2 rubber seals. I used to sell sleeves of the cheap version of these. They fit a ton of stuff

• Like 2

Buzz

Excuse my manners but I forgot to thank everyone for their help. I bought the bearings at NAPA. They were pricier than the kit on ebay but not too bad. I had new brushes from when an electrician from work had rebuilt the one on my 856. Now the bad news. While carrying the generator from the bench to the tractor, I stumbled over the dog and dropped it. Busted the cast iron mounting bracket. I not only exhausted my extensive vocabulary of swear words, I think I invented a few new ones. Checking into getting a copyright on them. Anyhow...... I had one with a bad armature so by swapping some pieces parts around I have a generator on the tractor that seems to work. Thank you.

• Like 3